Certificate Programs: Requirements and Benefits
NYUSPS noncredit certificate programs provide students with a comprehensive overview of a field they may be considering as a career. They are taught by highly qualified faculty members with in-depth experience in their subject areas. Certificates are comprised of courses that do not carry credit and are not NY State reviewed.
To earn an official certificate, students must declare their candidacy at the start of the certificate in which they enroll. Certificate candidacy entitles students to important benefits detailed on this page.
Students are welcome to take as many individual courses from a certificate program as they wish, but they will not receive an official certificate or be eligible for the benefits detailed below unless they declare certificate candidacy.
Certificate Candidate Benefits
NYU student photo ID, which confers the following privileges while students are enrolled in course(s)
- Access to NYU Libraries
- NYU Computer Store educational discount pricing
- Invitations to NYU‑SPS events
- 10% discount per course
- Certificate declaration is required before the start of the certificate program. Please click here to declare your candidacy.
- Students have up to three years to complete a certificate from initial date of registration, unless otherwise noted.
- An official certificate is available upon completion of all courses if an overall average grade of B or higher is maintained and candidacy has been declared.
- Certificate candidacy may be revoked if academic performance is not maintained.
- Certificate candidacy may be revoked if student conduct policies are not adhered to.
- There is a one-time $5 fee for the NYU student photo ID card; the card is active for the entire semester in which a registered student is enrolled in an approved certificate course and is deactivated when the student is not enrolled in an applicable course.
- Regular class attendance is required in order for a course to be applied toward a certificate program.
- Students may complete courses affiliated with more than one certificate in a given term, however, only one certificate will be issued and conferred in a term.
- Courses taken at NYUSPS may be applied to fulfilling the requirements of only one certificate program—no transfer work or waiver of the total number of courses required is permitted.
- The name printed on the certificate will match the name on the student’s NYU transcript.
- Education Certificate in Financial Planning program does not require declaration.
- Approval for exception to any of the above requirements must be obtained in advance in writing from the program office.
Note: Departments may establish more stringent requirements for their programs. Check individual listings for details.