Virtual Events: Best Practices for Effective Digital Fundraising
The COVID-19 pandemic upended the events industry, complicating in-person gatherings and necessitating a shift to virtual events. Yet, as corporations strive for some sense of normalcy and navigate a “post-pandemic” recovery, virtual (and hybrid) events remain invaluable, offering unmatched global reach, collaboration, and donor cultivation. Like onsite events, virtual events require the same degree of strategic, thoughtful planning to maximize contributions, and this course serves as a playbook for digital fundraising. Students will explore strategies to envision and produce events that attract, engage, and activate supporters while learning to identify and avoid common industry pitfalls. Course material will also examine best practices, tools, and platforms to build meaningful donor connections, establish differentiated event branding, amplify event reach, and exceed revenue targets. The course culminates with comprehensive analysis of virtual event case studies and development of a real-world fundraising and marketing strategy for a nonprofit organization.
- Digital Storytelling and Virtual Events Best Practices
- Event Content/Run of Show Development
- Fundraising/Partnership Plan Development
- Marketing Asset Development
- Event Execution and Evaluation
- Fundraising Strategy/Emerging Trends
This course is eligible towards the completion of the Certificate in Digital Fundraising . Bundle your coursework and earn a professional credential that communicates knowledge and skills gained. Declared Certificate students receive 10% off of courses within the program.
Note: Full participation in this course is applicable for 18 points in Category 1.B–Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
You'll Walk Away with
- Case studies from nonprofits that have successfully moved their virtual events online.
- Knowledge about tools such as online auctions, peer-to-peer, and text-to-give fundraising to expand virtual event revenue generation.
- An understanding of how to create virtual event experiences that rival in-person events.
- An opportunity to develop a virtual fundraising and marketing strategy for a nonprofit organization.
- Fundraising staff members
- Annual fund directors
- Database managers
DateMay 24 - Jun 28