Project management skills are essential for working effectively as a member of a project team. The Diploma in Basic Project Management is designed for individuals with little or no prior knowledge of project management. As a student enrolled in this program, you will develop a hands-on understanding of the essential terminology and the application of the basic tools, techniques, and practices required to become an effective and contributing member of a project team. Additionally, you will gain in-demand skills that employers seek for talent acquisition, such as proficiency in MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio, document management, record keeping, meeting management, logistics, basic budgeting and cost analysis, and communications.
The Diploma in Basic Project Management, which can be completed in-person in just one semester, provides those individuals who are just starting out in their careers with skills that will serve them a lifetime. The Diploma delivers a practical application of knowledge and experience that leverages real-world simulations, project scenarios, and case studies to provide a hands-on learning experience. Upon completion of the Diploma, students will possess the knowledge to sit for the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification.
Each student will develop a digital document management system (repository) to support the document management needs of the project and the team. This will entail collecting the requirements of the project, analyzing the needs, designing the document directory structure, and creating a timeline for the project, which will be presented to the executive sponsor and the leadership team.
- Understanding and applying project management terminology
- Developing documentation using MS Word and MS Excel
- Creating presentations using PowerPoint
- Developing basic budgets, estimating costs, and implementing cost controls
- Understanding and utilizing record keeping and database administration
The skills and knowledge acquired by earning the Diploma in Basic Project Management will enhance your current skill set and/or provide a stepping stone for securing one of the following positions:
- Documentation Specialist
- Project Coordinator
- Project Associate
- Support Specialist
- Administrative Assistant
You'll Walk Away With
- An understanding of the framework of structured project management, including project life cycle; knowledge areas; and constraints, such as time, resources, and scope
- The ability to apply a working knowledge of software tools, including MS Office Suite, MS Project, MS Visio, and MS SharePoint, to support the work of a project team
- The capacity to distinguish different styles and methods of project communications
- Experience developing a basic project communications plan, including the use of tools and templates for report preparation, artifacts, deliverables, data, and information
- Preparation to lead successful meetings after taking into consideration all facets of planning and execution, including scheduling, meeting management, meeting documentation, meeting minutes, site and equipment readiness, the action item registry, and the issues log
- The ability to assist the project manager in the planning, preparation, and management of a formal project, with acquired knowledge and understanding of project management theory, methods, tools, templates, and techniques