This diploma program is no longer accepting new applications.
By 2050, more than 75 percent of the world’s population will be city dwellers. Moreover, the economic output of the 60-largest global cities will increase by $30 trillion, accounting for two-thirds of all economic growth. Given these undeniable statistics, it is critical that city and economic development leaders, as well as key decision makers, appreciate the assets and the capabilities that are most important in the location decisions of businesses.
The Diploma in Cities and Urban Development provides those individuals who seek to launch or to advance their career in urban economic development with the skills, expertise, and insights they need to create, implement, and measure asset-driven strategies and plans, which move beyond real estate to build upon the creativity, innovation, and human capability of their local communities. This online, hybrid program of study, which can be completed in just one semester or in up to two years, equips students with the ability to create comprehensive economic development assessments for cities.
The Diploma is awarded to students who successfully complete four courses—two required and two electives—within two years.
If you need additional advisement, please email the program office at email@example.com.
Must be completed within
You'll Walk Away With
- A clear grasp of the fundamentals of economic development and knowledge of how to build stronger creative urban economies
- An understanding of how to apply data to decision-making and economic development problem-solving
- A framework for developing a cluster analysis that includes industries, occupations, and associated retention and attraction strategies
- The ability to generate a catalog of creative placemaking best practices
- The know-how to develop a roadmap for building startup ecologies
- A toolkit and a data-driven framework for evaluating the necessary community competitive advantages