Project management skills are essential for professionals to succeed in the global economy and to meet the ever-growing demands of industry. From IT to finance and construction to healthcare, project management skills are applicable across industries. The Advanced Diploma in Project Management is tailored to individuals who have some project management-related experience and who aspire to enhance their project management knowledge and skills.
As a student enrolled in this blended, one-semester program, you will gain the critical skills, knowledge, and experience needed to initiate, plan, execute, and manage a successful project. Upon the completion of this diploma, you will be able to define a business problem (or opportunity), prepare a business case to support it, present the case for the approval of the project, and develop a project plan to deliver the solution, including the skills needed for the execution and management of the plan.
Course work will explore essential techniques in project management and how to apply them, including people management, data management, intelligent leadership, and project integration. Upon completion of the Diploma, you will possess the knowledge to sit for the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam.
Note: The NYU School of Professional Studies has been reviewed and approved as a provider of project management training by the Project Management Institute (PMI). As a PMI Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.), the School abides by PMI-established quality assurance criteria.
It is recommended that students applying for this diploma have a minimum of 100 hours of project management-related experience.
You will be grouped into project teams of four to five members. Each team will be responsible for the planning and the execution of a discovery project. This will require developing a project proposal, a business case, a team presentation to the executive sponsor and steering committee, a project charter, and a written report to describe and to discuss the project management framework to be followed.
- The ability to develop a master project plan with subsidiary plans
- The skills to create a project financial plan including a resource breakdown structure (RBS)
- The ability to apply earned value management and variance analysis
- Knowledge of project management analytics—metrics and measurement
- An understanding of the importance of emotional intelligence in the management of a project team
- Project Controller
- Project Design Consultant
- Project Management Consultant
- Project Manager
- Project Plan Manager
You'll Walk Away With
- Familiarity with the systematic process used to identify individuals with an interest in the success or failure of a project
- An understanding of the importance of engagement, communications, change management, and outcome assessment, including analyzing relative interest, respective base(s) of power, and potential impact
- The ability to characterize the balanced relationship between managing data and analytics, people, and processes across the project life cycle
- Familiarity with constraints in success planning, execution, and management of a project
- Best practices for monitoring a project plan, comparing actual-work versus work-completed-to-plan, assessing if the project is on budget and on schedule, delivering stakeholder expectations, and adding value to the organization
- The skills needed to bring diverse, high-performance individuals together to form a cohesive team that works toward achieving project goals and objectives
- Techniques for team building and team management learned through leadership development
- Competency in the principles, practices, and methodologies associated with the formal project management framework and the ability to apply this knowledge to develop a project proposal, a project business case, and a project charter
- An understanding of the integration and relationships across the project management framework of the fundamental knowledge, terminology, and processes associated with a successful project