The purpose of language study is to enable learners to communicate effectively in the four skill areas: speaking, listening, writing, and reading. This course will provide you with the terminology, concepts, and teaching approaches necessary to instruct learners in these skill areas. The course also will outline potential barriers to successful communication in each of the four skills and enable you to apply this knowledge to hands-on lesson planning and teaching.
You'll Walk Away with
- Knowledge of the basic concepts and terminology used to describe reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
- An understanding of how approaches to reading, writing, listening, and speaking vary depending upon purpose
- Knowledge of key features that help second-language (L2) learners to decode written and oral texts (reading and listening) and to produce clear and effective spoken and written texts
- Familiarity with potential barriers to successful reading, writing, listening, and speaking for L2 learners
- The ability to apply the knowledge outlined above to hands-on lesson planning and teaching