Creating a Narrative Podcast
Highly produced shows have developed powerful ways to find and tell great stories, informing listeners by weaving sounds and interviews into evocative narrative threads that are edited beautifully and punctuated by music. This course gives you the training to launch your own story-driven podcast series. Through listening sessions, we will break down how podcasts like Revisionist History, Invisibilia,
and 99% Invisible
construct stories around raw tape from interviews and other audio sources. You will work individually on finding great stories, conducting your own interviews, editing audio material into a story of your design, and developing a show that feels tailored to your own voice. While we cover the basics, this course is best suited to people with some experience in audio storytelling.
This course may be used to fulfill the requirements of the Certificate in Journalism and the Certificate in Storytelling. It may be taken to pursue these certificates, or as a standalone course. Questions? Contact us at The Center for Publishing and Applied Liberal Arts (PALA). Email email@example.com or call 212-998-7289.
You'll Walk Away with
- Skills to weave audio clips into a compelling and complete narrative series
- A 15- to 20-minute pilot, which can serve as a road map for subsequent episodes
- Aspiring and practicing journalists who want to pursue audio storytelling
- Professionals across all industries interested in storytelling and podcasting
- Emerging podcasters who want to develop their skills further