Media Studies is designed to provide you with the critical knowledge and the analytical skills necessary to understand and to examine contemporary global media.
As the 21st century began, digital media, social media, and other technological innovations revolutionized not only how media are produced, distributed, and consumed, but also how we communicate with one another in a globally connected world. The concentration in media studies is designed to provide you with the critical knowledge and analytical skills necessary to understand and examine contemporary global media. By investigating the social, cultural, political, and economic forces that shape and are shaped by the media, you also explore the role that the media play in constructing identities and worldviews. In consultation with their advisor, students select a minimum of 12 credits of media theory courses and four additional credits from either the Media Theory or Media Practices category.
Media Studies Concentration Category: Media Theory
Students are required to take a minimum of 12 credits from the Media Theory category.
- MEST1-UC6010 Children's Culture and Media 4
- MEST1-UC6006 Cultural Identities in The Media 4
- MEST1-UC6005 Global Perspectives in Media 4
- MEST1-UC6666 Media, News & Politics 4
- MEST1-UC6047 Media & Community 4
- MEST1-UC6011 Hip Hop Culture 2
- MEST1-UC6012 Social Media 2
- MEST1-UC6032 Reality TV 2
- MEST1-UC6060 Video Games and Culture 2
- MEST1-UC6013 Writing for Media and Communication 4
- MEST1-UC6050 Digital Storytelling 4
- MEST1-UC6007 Gender, Sexualities & The Media 4
- MEST1-UC6048 Food, Culture and Communication 4
- MEST1-UC6030 Documentary Cinema 4
- MEST1-UC6020 World Cinema 4
Media Studies Concentration Category: Media Practices
Students can select four credits from the Media Practices category or take an additional four credits from the Media Theory category to fulfill the concentration course requirements.
- LRMS1-UC0920 Consumer Behavior 4
- FILV1-UC2201 Digital Filmmaking I 4
- LRMS1-UC0941 Fundamentals of Advertising, Media, and Public Relations 4
- LRMS1-UC0948 Integrated Marketing Campaigns 4
- DGCM1-UC2271 Interactive Design I: Building A Website 4
- DGCM1-UC2235 Motion Design I: Time and Space 4
- MEST1-UC6029 Producing for Media 4
SOCIAL SCIENCES COURSES OF INTERDISCIPLINARY INTEREST
Valuing interdisciplinary studies, we encourage students to consider courses outside of their specific degree area. To help you explore our course catalog, here are a few courses that we think might interest you, by program.