Social Media 101 for the Digital Sports Fan
From cultivating global sports communities to challenging traditional content distribution models, social media continues to transform the sports world. Its rapid rise has produced both positive and problematic results for corporate and personal athletic brands. This course will examine trends, best practices, case studies, and the evolution of new media specific to the multibillion-dollar sports industry. Gain a comprehensive overview of how to leverage digital platforms strategically as social marketing tools among various sports entities, as well as how to identify and avoid common pitfalls. Also, collaborate with classmates to develop and present an in-depth social media fan engagement campaign for a major sports property.
You'll Walk Away with
- Experience developing a social media engagement campaign
- An understanding of how to leverage digital platforms in sports marketing to achieve specific business objectives like fan engagement or TV ratings
- Fluency in the nuances and application of various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat
- High school students in grades 9–12
- High school students with an interest in sports business and marketing