Let's Talk "Skam" and Learn Norwegian
Register for this Spring 2023 course on the new NYU SPS Academy of Lifelong Learning website.
What do between 1-2 million Norwegian people, over 6 million Chinese people (more than the population of Norway), and millions around the world have in common? They all watched the television program Skam, a global cult phenomenon. Skam is the perfect television show for people interested in learning Norwegian. Skam follows a group of teenagers in their day-to-day life, covering all aspects of the tumultuous ups and downs of teenage life, as seen from their perspective. Skam was praised by critics and audiences, swept Norwegian television awards, and was sold to the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Belgium, and planned for China. Each week, you will be immersing yourself in Season 1 and 2 of Skam by watching two or three episodes on your own schedule. We will watch some scenes in class together and explore the cultural, linguistic, and sociopolitical issues raised by the program. Classes will be conducted in English and some Norwegian to the degree possible, exploring Norwegian terminology, lingo, sentence structure, and basic grammar. Spring 2023 tuition is $699.
You'll Walk Away with
- Familiarity with the first two seasons of Skam, including cultural references
- Knowledge about Norwegian idioms and slang
- Beginner-level proficiency in Norwegian
- Absolute beginners to the Norwegian language and individuals with basic knowledge of Norwegian
- Individuals seeking a springboard to learning Norwegian in a fun way
- Travelers, professionals, and students