Technology Diploma in Introduction to Programming with Python
Familiarity with programming and development is an essential skill in the IT industry, which continues to grow rapidly. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that, by 2022, employment within the IT industry, which already boasts more than 300,000 professionals, will grow by 8.3 percent. The Diploma in Introduction to Programming with Python provides the knowledge and applied skills needed to pursue careers as entry-level software engineers or developers in one of the fastest-growing and most in-demand languages in the IT industry.
As a student in the program, you will become familiar with the basics of Python for web development (front- and back-end), as well as the programmatic utilization of data, preparing you for more advanced study. You will learn about the ways in which programs execute on distributed computers, and you will gain an understanding of the building blocks of software analysis and design. You will explore Python’s standard library, advanced features, and powerful coding techniques, which include procedural, object-oriented, and functional programming. During the program, you will work on projects in web development (front- and back-end), mastering the tools needed for team collaboration, source code control, testing, code review, and deployment. No prior programming experience is required.
Projects will be a collaborative effort between groups of at least two but not more than three students and will involve design and development, team division of tasks, code review, unit testing, and end-to-end testing.
- The ability to design and write Python applications—procedural, object-oriented, and functional
- The ability to design and write unit tests
- The knowledge to apply a web front-end (user interface) to a web application
- The skills to perform basic data analysis and visualization via web front-end
- Training in the use of UML diagrams to design program control flow
Schedule and Format
- Four noncredit courses
- On average, students take one course per semester, fall/spring/summer
- The Diploma must be completed within two years
The Diploma is awarded to students who successfully complete the four required courses within two years.
For additional information, or if you have any questions, please contact the Division of Programs in Business at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must be completed within
You'll Walk Away With
- The skills to plan and design Python applications using procedural, object-oriented, and functional programming techniques
- An understanding of advanced Python concepts using the Python standard library
- The expertise to apply standard development tools used throughout the industry
- Familiarity with methodologies for producing reliable, tested, high-quality code
- The ability to link a web back-end application to a dynamic front-end interface
- Mastery of basic data analysis and visualization tasks
- The skills to collaborate and communicate effectively in a team environment