Hospitality and Tourism Diploma in Meeting and Convention Management
According to the Convention Industry Council, meetings and conventions account for $280 billion in direct spending, and support over 1.8 million jobs in the United States. In the decade spanning 2012–2022, the industry is expected to grow by 33 percent—much faster than average.* Meeting and convention management offers a range of career options for budding event planners and sales or venue managers, which require project management, creativity, detail orientation, and high-level communication skills.
For those contemplating a career in this burgeoning and evolving industry, the Diploma in Meeting and Convention Management provides a solid foundation in the event-planning process, including venue selection, design and production, stakeholder management, budgeting, contracting, and risk management. In addition, students learn about the economic value of meetings and events for achieving organizational goals, and they develop the skills and foresight to analyze and to employ the trends that will shape the experience, delivery, and outcomes of meetings. Upon completion of the Diploma, which is offered in a blended format, students have a solid understanding of the key buyers, suppliers, and intermediaries in the industry, as well as the technologies that influence it.
*US Bureau of Labor Statistics
As a student enrolled in this program, you will prepare an event design in response to a simulated industry-standard request for proposal (RFP). This RFP will include the “client’s” design for an entire event including venue, theme, relevant suppliers, and detailed competitive budget. You then will present your strategically developed sales pitch to professionals in the field, who will evaluate your work and provide feedback. The portfolio presentation will showcase your skills as a creative, detail-oriented, and business-savvy future event professional.
- Effective project management
- Leadership competencies—research, budgeting, and planning
- Knowledge of business development and sales
- Scheduling and staff management
- Refined presentation, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Meeting Associate
- Venue/Banquet Coordinator
- Convention Center Executive
- Corporate Sales Associate
- Event Marketing Assistant
The Diploma is awarded to students who successfully complete the three required courses within two years.
Must be completed within
You'll Walk Away With
- The ability to identify the key buyers, suppliers, and intermediaries in the meetings industry, and a keen understanding of the employment opportunities the industry offers
- Confidence to assess the critical operational processes that underlie the successful production of meetings that are of different sizes and are tailored to the needs of the client organization
- An understanding of the most significant considerations for meeting buyers and an ability to apply marketing and positioning strategies that maximize the benefit of the meeting for the client
- Knowledge of emerging trends in the use of technology in the meetings industry and an understanding of potential value in shaping the future of the profession