Keynote Speakers Include Ron Havner of Public Storage; Sam Zell of Equity Group Investments; and Nadeem Meghji of Blackstone, Among Other Prominent Industry Leaders
NEW YORK, March 22, 2023 – The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate will host the 27th Annual REIT Symposium, titled “Mind the REIT Gap,” on Wednesday, April 19, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at The Pierre in New York City. For more than a quarter of a century, the Symposium has convened top industry executives to provide perspectives and insights on the trends transforming the real estate investment trust (REIT) markets.
These conversations complement an outstanding roster of panel discussions with the sector’s leading CEOs, bankers, lawyers, analysts, and investors. More than 500 senior industry professionals attend the Symposium each year and participate in the day’s discussions and debates.
Notable speakers at this year’s Symposium are Ron Havner, chairman of the board, Public Storage; Sam Zell, founder and chairman, Equity Group Investments; and Nadeem Meghji, head of Blackstone Real Estate – Americas, Blackstone.
“The Schack Institute’s REIT Symposium is the pre-eminent event for the discussion and debate of the REIT industry’s most pressing concerns,” said Marc Norman, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment, and associate dean of the NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate. “Our great line-up of industry experts will examine trends influencing REIT investment decisions, including interest rates, inflation, changing business and regulatory dynamics, M&As, the digital tide, and more.”
To register, please visit here. For registration inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Natalie Kimball Tessoun at email@example.com or call 347-443-1961.
If you are a member of the press who wishes to cover the event, please contact Alka Gupta at firstname.lastname@example.org or Michael DeMeo at email@example.com.
WELCOME AND OPENING REMARKS
- Adam O. Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Marc Norman, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development & Investment and Associate Dean, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
- Scott L. Robinson, Clinical Assistant Professor Program Coordinator, Finance & Investment Director, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
NAVIGATING COMPLEX CURRENTS: INTEREST RATES, VALUATION GAPS, INFLATION, CAPITAL MARKETS, AND CHANGING BUSINESS AND REGULATORY DYNAMICS
- Debra A. Cafaro, Chairman & CEO, Ventas, Inc.
- Mike Graziano, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs & Co. [Moderator]
- Edward Pitoniak, CEO, VICI Properties
- Mark Parrell, President & CEO, Equity Residential
- Owen Thomas, Chairman & CEO, BXP
- Conor C. Flynn, CEO, Kimco Realty Corporation
A CONVERSATION WITH
- Ron Havner, Chairman of the Board, Public Storage
DEALS IN COMPLICATED TIMES: M&A, ACTIVISM, JV & FUND MODELS, STRUCTURES OUTSIDE THE BOX
- Christina Chiu, EVP, COO, & CFO, Empire State Realty Trust
- Colin Connolly, President & CEO, Cousins Properties
- Joseph F. Coradino, Chairman & CEO, PREIT
- Matthew J. Lustig, Chairman of Investment Banking, N. America & Head of Real Estate & Lodging, Lazard
- Guy Metcalfe, Managing Director & Global Chairman of Real Estate, Morgan Stanley [Moderator]
- Benjamin W. Schall, CEO and President, AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
- Mary Hogan-Preusse, Senior Advisor, Fifth Wall [Moderator]
- Nick Joseph, Head of the US REIT & Lodging Team, Citi Research
- Lisa Kaufman, Head of LaSalle Global Solutions, LaSalle Investment Management
- Cedrik Lachance, Director of Research, Green Street
- Gina Szymanski, Director and Portfolio Manager, AEW Capital Management
A CONVERSATION WITH
- Sam Zell, Founder & Chairman, Equity Group Investments
- Adam O. Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz [Moderator]
A CONVERSATION WITH
- Nadeem Meghji, Head of Blackstone Real Estate – Americas, Blackstone
GETTING AHEAD OF THE DIGITAL TIDE
- Kristin Gannon, Managing Director, Eastdil Secured
- Jeffrey D. Horowitz, Global Head of Real Estate & Managing Director, Gaming & Lodging Investment Banking, BofA Securities [Moderator]
- Tom Grier, Global Head, Real Estate Investment Banking, J.P. Morgan
- Brendan Wallace, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Fifth Wall
CONVERGENCE: WILL COVID AND ITS AFTERMATH BLUR THE SECTORS AND OTHER LINES
- Michael J. Bilerman, EVP, CFO & CIO, Tanger Factory Outlet Centers
- Scott Brinker, President & CEO, Healthpeak Properties
- Lauren Hochfelder, Co-CEO & Head of Americas, Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing Managing Director [Moderator]
- Sandeep Mathrani, CEO, WeWork
- Andrea Olshan, President & CEO, Seritage Growth Properties
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent members of the New York City real estate community, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that would provide a world-class education for industry professionals. More than 50 years later, the Schack Institute is at the forefront of real estate education and is recognized globally as one of the world’s leading centers of real estate research and pedagogy. Across the Institute’s graduate degree programs—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as a rapidly expanding undergraduate degree program, enrollment has grown to more than 1,000 full- and part-time students from across the United States and nearly 50 other countries. In addition to its flagship degree programs, thousands of working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s executive education, diploma, and career advancement programs each year.
An anchor of real estate academia’s engagement with industry, the Institute is home to the REIT Center, the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, and the newly established Urban Lab. In addition, the Institute hosts national industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and the REIT sector. Under the direction of the Schack Institute’s faculty, ongoing applied research at the Institute spans an exceptional range of issues in real estate development and investment, urban economics, and market structure and regulation.
NYU School of Professional Studies
For more than 87 years, the NYU School of Professional Studies (NYU SPS) has been a deeply respected institution of higher education grounded in applied learning. From its early years, training returning World War II veterans to fulfill the nation’s urgent need for skilled technical workers, it has evolved into a professional education powerhouse that offers 21 graduate degrees, 13 bachelor’s degrees for traditional and degree completion students, four associate degrees, and a plethora of continuing education courses and credentials.
Home to some of the largest and most prestigious industry conferences in the world, including the NYU SPS Institute on Federal Taxation, the Schack Institute of Real Estate’s Capital Markets Conference, REIT Symposium, and National Symposium of Women in Real Estate; the Jonathan M. Tisch Center’s International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference, and the NYU Coaching and Technology Summit, the School’s invaluable connections to industry leaders is a truly distinguishing factor in the education that it provides. Through career development services and resources provided by the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development at NYU SPS, guest lecturers, site visits, participation in numerous conferences and events, and Global Field Intensives, students benefit from an NYU education that will set them apart. In addition, they can learn from and network with more than 41,000 NYU SPS alumni who live, work, and contribute to innovation in global industries. To learn more about NYU SPS, visit sps.nyu.edu.