Keynote Speaker Hamid R. Moghadam, Chairman and CEO of Prologis; Sam Zell, Chairman of Equity Group Investments; Barry S. Sternlicht, Chairman and CEO, Starwood Capital Group; Debra A. Cafaro, Chairman and CEO, Ventas, and Chair, The Real Estate Round Table; Among Other Prominent Industry Leaders Will Explore "REIT Leadership for a Post-COVID World"
March 30, 2021
NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate to Host 25th Annual REIT Symposium Through a Series of Online Webinars Presented April 6-8
NEW YORK, March 30, 2021— The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYU SPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate will host the 25th Annual REIT Symposium virtually, through a series of webinars presented April 6-8, 2021. For a quarter of a century, the Symposium has been one of the sector’s most compelling forums, convening industry leaders for a critical examination of the forces shaping the current and future real estate and real estate investment trust (REIT) markets.
The keynote speaker for this year’s Symposium, titled "REIT Leadership for a Post-COVID World," is Hamid R. Moghadam, chairman and chief executive officer of Prologis, the world’s leader in logistics real estate. The program also features a lunch conversation with Sam Zell, chairman of Equity Group Investments; a review of the markets with Barry S. Sternlicht, chairman and chief executive officer of Starwood Capital Group; and a fireside chat with Debra A. Cafaro, chairman and CEO, Ventas; and chair, The Real Estate Roundtable.
These conversations complement an outstanding roster of panel discussions with more than 50 of the sector’s leading CEOs, bankers, lawyers, analysts, and investors. More than 1,000 industry professionals are registered to attend the Symposium this year.
"As businesses recover from the economic disruption caused by the pandemic, industry leaders at this year’s Symposium will share their insights into the diverse forces shaping the REIT sector," said Sam Chandan, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment, and associate dean of the NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate. "Discussions will focus on the long-term effect of COVID on space demand, the property technology sector, ESG and sustainability, and much more."
Sponsors of this year’s Symposium include Blackstone and Monmouth Real Estate Investment Corporation (Gold Sponsors); Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson (Silver Sponsor); Goodwin Procter and Medical Properties Trust (Bronze Sponsors); Ackman-Ziff, Eastdil Secured, Kilroy Realty Corporation, Morgan Stanley, and New Senior Investment Group (Premier Sponsors); and Ferguson Partners, J.P. Morgan Securities, and Thompson Hospitality and Chartwells (Supporting Sponsors). Their contributions support the work of the REIT Center and merit scholarships and need-based financial aid for Schack students.
For inquiries about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Michael Foote at Michael.Foote@nyu.edu or call (212) 992-3841.
Tuesday, April 6, 2021
WELCOME AND OPENING REMARKS
- Sam Chandan, PhD, FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development & Investment and Associate Dean, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
- Adam O. Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
THE BULL CASE FOR REITS POST-COVID, AND HOW TO PLAY IT – Are REITs Poised for a Strong Recovery and a New Growth Cycle? Evaluating Investment and Deal Opportunities in the Post-Covid Environment
- Guy A. Metcalfe, Managing Director & Global Chairman of Real Estate, Morgan Stanley [Moderator]
- Cia Buckley Marakovits, Co-Chief Investment Officer, Dune Real Estate Partners
- Jason E. Fox, Chief Executive Officer, W.P. Carey
- Mike Kirby, Co-Founder & Director of Research, Green Street
- E. Nelson Mills, President & Chief Executive Officer, Columbia Property Trust
- Glenn Rufrano, Chief Executive Officer, VEREIT
- A. William Stein, Chief Executive Officer, Digital Realty Trust
LONG TERM IMPACT OF COVID – If the Future Arrived Early, Now What? Which Changes Will Stick, Which Will Recede, and Which Were Turbo-Charged?*
- Michael Graziano, Global Co-Head of Real Estate Investment Banking, Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC [Moderator]
- Edward K. Aldag, Jr., Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer, Medical Properties Trust
- Ronald L. Havner, Jr., Chairman, Public Storage, PS Business Parks, and Shurgard Europe
- Owen D. Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, Boston Properties Inc.
- Mary Hogan Preusse, Director of Digital Realty Trust, Host Hotels & Resorts, Kimco and VEREIT
KEYNOTE LUNCH WITH HAMID R. MOGHADAM*
- Adam O. Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz [Moderator]
- Hamid R. Moghadam, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Prologis
PROP-TECH AND DIGITALIZATION POST-COVID – Was Covid the Tipping Point? What’s Next? Is the Future All Asset‑Light?
- Kristin Gannon, Managing Director, Eastdil Secured [Moderator]
- Victor J. Coleman, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc.
- William L. Meaney, President & Chief Executive Officer, Iron Mountain Inc.
- Zak Schwarzman, General Partner, MetaProp
REIMAGINING THE FUTURE OF REAL ESTATE AND REITS IN THE DIGITAL ERA – A Deep Dive on Investment and Development Trends for the Next Decade*
- Robin Panovka, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz [Moderator]
- Kenneth Caplan, Global Co-Head of Real Estate, The Blackstone Group
- Marc C. Ganzi, President & Chief Executive Officer, Colony Capital, Inc.
- John B. Kilroy, Jr., Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Kilroy Realty Corporation
- Mark S. Orda, Chief Executive Officer, MEDNAX
- Lisa Palmer, President & Chief Executive Officer, Regency Centers
- Mark J. Parrell, President & Chief Executive Officer, Equity Residential
PRIVATE EQUITY, HEDGE FUNDS AND REITS – A Mutually Beneficial Ecosystem? Competing Models? Post-Covid Implications
- Lauren Hochfelder Silverman, CIO and Head of the Americas, Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing, and Managing Director, Morgan Stanley [Moderator]
- James B. Connor, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Duke Realty Corporation
- Conor C. Flynn, Chief Executive Officer, Kimco Realty Corporation
- David Roth, Partner, Head of U.S. Real Estate Private Equity, Ares Management
FIRESIDE CHAT WITH DEBRA CAFARO – The State of the Real Estate Markets, the Economy, and Healthcare Real Estate
- Robin Panovka, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz [Moderator]
- Debra A. Cafaro, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Ventas; Chair, The Real Estate Roundtable
Wednesday, April 7, 2021
GOING ON OFFENSE – Implementing Strategy and Purpose Through M&A and Other Big Chess Moves; What to Expect by Way of Public-to-Public, Public-to-Private, and Private-to-Public Deals in the Coming Year*
- Jeffrey D. Horowitz, Global Head of Real Estate, Gaming & Lodging Investment Banking, Managing Director, Bank of America Merrill Lynch [Moderator]
- H. Eric Bolton, Jr., Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Mid-America Apartment Communities
- Jackson Hsieh, President & Chief Executive Officer, Spirit Realty Capital
- Susan Givens, President & Chief Executive Officer, New Senior Investment Group
- Matthew J. Lustig, Chairman of Investment Banking, North America; Head of Real Estate & Lodging, Lazard
- Jeffrey S. Olson, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Urban Edge Properties
ESG AND OTHER MAJOR TRENDS – How to Adapt and Flourish in the New Environment; Understanding What Institutional Investors Want; Being Your Own Disruptor; Getting Ahead of the Activists
- Scott I. Schaevitz, Managing Director, Americas Co-Head, Real Estate Investment Banking, Barclays Capital [Moderator]
- Michael J. Franco, President & Chief Executive Officer, Vornado Realty Trust
- A. Edward Pitoniak, Chief Executive Officer, VICI Properties
- Sherry L. Rexroad, Managing Director, BlackRock
- Benjamin W. Schall, President, AvalonBay Communities
- James M. Taylor, Jr., Chief Executive Officer & President, Brixmor
KEYNOTE LUNCH WITH SAM ZELL
- Sam Chandan, PhD, FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development & Investment and Associate Dean, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- Sam Zell, Chairman, Equity Group Investments
LEADING THROUGH A STORM – Lessons in Leadership So Far, and Thoughts on Formulating and Pursuing Strategic Initiatives in the Face of Continuing Uncertainty*
- Scott Robinson, Clinical Assistant Professor and Director, REIT Center, NYU SPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- Joseph F. Coradino, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust
- Jeffrey Fisher, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, and President, Chatham Lodging Trust
- Marguerite Nader, President & Chief Executive Officer, Equity LifeStyle Properties, Inc.
- Martin E. "Hap" Stein, Jr., Executive Chairman, Regency Centers
- Paul E. Szurek, President & Chief Executive Officer, CoreSite Realty Corporation
A CONVERSATION WITH BARRY E. STERNLICHT*
- Michael J. Bilerman, Managing Director, Head of Real Estate and Lodging Team, Citi [Moderator]
- Barry S. Sternlicht, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Starwood Capital Group
REBUILDING THE COMPANY AND ITS BALANCE SHEET POST-COVID – Trends and Developments in REIT Capital Markets, ESG, and Sustainability
- Jonathan L. Mechanic, Chairman of the Real Estate Department, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson [Moderator]
- Gemma Burgess, President, Ferguson Partners
- Michael P. Landy, President & Chief Executive Officer, Monmouth Real Estate Investment Corporation
- Sandeep Mathrani, Chief Executive Officer, WeWork
- Anne Segrest McCulloch, President & Chief Executive Officer, Housing Partnership Equity Trust
Thursday, April 8, 2021
(*) All-Access Pass Required
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYU SPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent members of the New York City real estate community, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that would provide a world-class education for industry professionals. More than 50 years later, the Schack Institute is at the forefront of real estate education and is recognized globally as one of the world’s leading centers of real estate research and pedagogy. Across the Institute’s graduate degree programs—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as a rapidly expanding undergraduate degree program, enrollment has grown to more than 1,000 full- and part-time students from across the United States and nearly 50 other countries. In addition to its flagship degree programs, thousands of working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s executive education, diploma, and career advancement programs each year.
An anchor of real estate academia’s engagement with industry, the Institute is home to the REIT Center, the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, and the newly established Urban Lab. In addition, the Institute hosts national industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and the REIT sector. Under the direction of the Schack Institute’s faculty, ongoing applied research at the Institute spans an exceptional range of issues in real estate development and investment, urban economics, and market structure and regulation.
About The NYU School of Professional Studies
Celebrating More Than 85 Years of Excellence in Applied Professional Education
For over 85 years, the NYU School of Professional Studies (NYU SPS) has been a deeply respected institution of higher education that is grounded in applied learning. From its early years, training returning World War II veterans to fulfill the nation’s urgent need for skilled technical workers, it has evolved into a professional education powerhouse that offers 20 graduate degrees, 13 bachelor’s degrees for traditional and post-traditional students, four associate’s degrees, and a plethora of non-degree courses and credentials.
NYU SPS is a thought leader, and serves as an incubator for new ideas in industries that are constantly changing, including real estate, real estate development, and construction management; hospitality, tourism, travel, and event management; global affairs and global security, conflict, and cybercrime; global sport and sports business; publishing; marketing; public relations; project management; executive coaching and organizational consulting, human resource management and development, and human capital analytics and technology; management and systems; translation; and professional writing. It is focused on building skills that open doors to opportunities in emerging fields and global markets. NYU SPS faculty members are leading experts in their areas of discipline, with a hands-on approach that encourages students to push beyond their limits and to break new ground.
Home to some of the largest and most prestigious industry conferences in the world, including the Schack Institute of Real Estate’s Capital Markets Conference, REIT Symposium, and National Symposium of Women in Real Estate; and the Jonathan M. Tisch Center of Hospitality’s International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference, the School’s invaluable connections to industry leaders is a truly distinguishing factor in the education that it provides. Through career development services and resources provided by the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development at NYU SPS, guest lecturers, site visits, participation in numerous conferences and events, and Global Field Intensives, students benefit from an NYU education that will set them apart. In addition, they have the opportunity to learn from and network with more than 30,000 NYU SPS alumni who live, work, and contribute to innovation in industry around the world. To learn more about NYU SPS visit: sps.nyu.edu.