Margaret Chinwe Anadu, Partner and Head of the Urban Investment Group at Goldman Sachs, Will Serve as the Keynote Speaker for the October 10th Event at the Grand Hyatt New York
October 1, 2019
NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate to Host Third National Symposium of Women in Real Estate
NEW YORK, October 1, 2019—The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate will host the Third National Symposium of Women in Real Estate (WiRE) on Thursday, October 10, from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., at the Grand Hyatt New York in New York City. Margaret Chinwe Anadu, partner and head of the Urban Investment Group (UIG) at Goldman Sachs, will be the keynote speaker. Marcela Sapone, co-founder and CEO of Hello Alfred, will be this year’s featured speaker.
The Symposium, which convenes women serving in senior leadership roles at the industry’s most prominent firms, provides a forum for in-depth discussion on the outlook for the real estate market and the forces shaping property investment, financing, and development. This national event also serves as a critical mentorship platform for women executives and the next generation of real estate industry leaders.
Anadu serves on the Goldman Sachs Bank USA Management Committee and is chair of the UIG Capital Committee. UIG is a domestic, multi-asset class investing and lending business that provides equity and debt to real estate projects and social enterprises to benefit underserved communities. Established in 2001, it has committed nearly $8 billion to community and economic development investments, serving as a catalyst in the revitalization of distressed neighborhoods across the US.
Anadu also is a lead investor for Launch With GS, Goldman Sachs’ $500 million commitment to narrow the gender investing gap. Previously, she structured equity derivatives in Goldman Sachs’ Securities Division. She joined the firm as an analyst in 2003, and was named managing director in 2013 and partner in 2018. Anadu serves on the boards of several community and economic development nonprofit organizations, including the Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation, the Center for an Urban Future, Core Innovation Capital, and Ascend Learning.
More than 500 attendees are expected to take part in the Symposium, including leading industry professionals and students from across the United States and abroad. The funds raised support the Women in Real Estate scholarship fund and academic programs for graduate and undergraduate students at the Schack Institute.
Three influential women in real estate are again serving as this year’s Symposium chairs: Laurie Golub, chief operating officer & senior managing director, Square Mile Capital; Joanne M. Minieri, executive vice president & chief operating officer, RXR Development Services and RXR Construction Services, RXR Realty; and Darcy Stacom, chairman and head of NYC Capital Markets, CBRE.
Sam Chandan PhD, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate & associate dean for the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate will serve as Symposium host. Billie Gastic Rosado, PhD, associate dean for the NYUSPS Division of Applied Undergraduate Studies —which also offers an undergraduate program in real estate—will serve as Symposium co-host.
Welcome and Introductions
- Sam Chandan, PhD FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment & Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
- Laurie Golub, Chief Operating Officer & Senior Managing Director, Square Mile Capital
Panel I: Construction and Architecture
- Mariana Circiumaru, Head of US Construction, BentallGreenOak [Moderator]
- Linda Chiarelli, Senior Vice President, Capital Projects and Facilities, New York University
- Sabrina Kanner, Executive Vice President, Design and Construction, Brookfield Properties
- Linda Kreczkowski, Partner, Studio 5
- Ritu Vij, Director, Global Real Estate, Blackrock
Panel II: Debt Markets
- Laurie Golub, Chief Operating Officer & Senior Managing Director, Square Mile Capital [Moderator]
- Greta Guggenheim, Chief Executive Officer & President, TPG Real Estate Finance Trust
- Katie Keenan, Managing Director, Real Estate Debt Strategies, Blackstone
- Candice King, Sr. Director, Capital Markets, WeWork
- Neha Santiago, Vice President, Goldman Sachs
Presentation of Second Annual WiRE Scholarship
Panel III: Asset Management
- Sherry Rexroad, Managing Director & Senior Product Strategist, Blackrock [Moderator]
- Lesley Lisser, Senior Director, Asset Management, Invesco
- Melissa Pianco, Managing Director, Real Estate, Blackstone
- Kinsey Sale, Executive Director, Real Estate Americas, J.P. Morgan Asset Management
Luncheon and Keynote Speaker
- Darcy Stacom, Chairman & Head New York City Capital Markets, CBRE [Moderator]
- Margaret Chinwe Anadu, Partner & Head of the Urban Investment Group, Goldman Sachs
Presentation of WiRE Leadership Award
Panel IV: Capital Markets-Where Is the Money Flowing
- Darcy Stacom, Chairman & Head New York City Capital Markets, CBRE [Moderator]
- Karen Horstmann, Head of Equity Acquisitions, Allianz Real Estate of America
- Anjum Sharma, Head of Northeast Acquisitions and Dispositions, Brookfield
- Wendy Silverstein, Former Chief Investment Officer
Panel V: Women-Founded Businesses
- Roxanne Donovan, President, Great Ink Communications [Moderator]
- Suri Kasirer, President and Founder, Kasirer
- Aine O’Dwyer, CEO and Owner, Enovate Engineering
- Janine Yorio, Chief Executive Officer, Compound Asset Management Inc.
Panel VI: PropTech Session
- Joanne M. Minieri, Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer of RXR Development Services and RXR Construction Services, RXR Realty [Moderator]
- Marcela Sapone, Co-founder and CEO, Hello Alfred
- Sam Chandan, PhD, FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development & Investment & Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent members of the New York City real estate community, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that would provide a world-class education for industry professionals. More than 50 years later, the Schack Institute is at the forefront of real estate education and is recognized globally as one of the world’s leading centers of real estate research and pedagogy. Across the Institute’s graduate degree programs—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as a rapidly expanding undergraduate degree program, enrollment has grown to more than 1,000 full- and part-time students from across the United States and nearly 50 other countries. In addition to its flagship degree programs, thousands of working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s executive education, diploma, and career advancement programs each year.
An anchor of real estate academia’s engagement with industry, the Institute is home to the REIT Center, the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, and the newly established Urban Lab. In addition, the Institute hosts national industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and the REIT sector. Under the direction of the Schack Institute’s faculty, ongoing applied research at the Institute spans an exceptional range of issues in real estate development and investment, urban economics, and market structure and regulation.
About the NYU School of Professional Studies
For 85 years, the NYU School of Professional Studies has been a deeply respected institution of higher education that is grounded in applied learning. From its early years, training returning World War II veterans to fulfill the nation’s urgent need for skilled technical workers, it has evolved into a professional education powerhouse that offers 20 graduate degrees, 14 bachelor’s degrees for traditional and post-traditional students, four associate’s degrees, and a plethora of non-degree courses and credentials.
NYUSPS is a thought leader, and serves as an incubator for new ideas in industries that are constantly changing, including real estate, real estate development, and construction management; hospitality, tourism, travel, and event management; global affairs and global security, conflict, and cybercrime; global sport and sports business; publishing; marketing; public relations; project management; executive coaching and organizational consulting, human resource management and development, and human capital analytics and technology; management and systems; translation; and professional writing. It is focused on building skills that open doors to opportunities in emerging fields and global markets. NYUSPS faculty members are leading experts in their areas of discipline, with a hands-on approach that encourages students to push beyond their limits and to break new ground.
Home to some of the largest and most prestigious industry conferences in the world, including the Schack Institute of Real Estate’s Capital Markets Conference, REIT Symposium, and National Symposium of Women in Real Estate; and the Jonathan M. Tisch Center’s International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference, the School’s invaluable connections to industry leaders is a truly distinguishing factor in the education that it provides. Through career development services and resources provided by the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development at NYUSPS, guest lecturers, site visits, participation in numerous conferences and events, and Global Field Intensives, students benefit from an NYU education that will set them apart. In addition, they have the opportunity to learn from and network with more than 27,000 NYUSPS alumni who live, work, and contribute to innovation in industry around the world.