The Edward L. Kleinert Faculty Service Award, established in 2022 in honor of Clinical Associate Professor Edward L. Kleinert, recognizes one SPS faculty member each year who has exhibited the dedication and exemplary service to SPS and NYU that were hallmarks of Edward's long career at the School of Professional Studies. The award will go to a faculty member who, like Ed, went above and beyond the call of duty in prioritizing service not only to his students but also to his colleagues, to SPS, and, as a faculty senator and member of university-wide committees, to New York University.
The Edward L. Kleinert Faculty Service Award
Ed was a dedicated member of our NYU SPS community for nearly 18 years and brought his boundless energy and optimism to thousands of students in that time. He was a wise, generous person, always ready to listen and advise students, fellow faculty members, and staff. His prowess as an instructor was recognized when, in 2020, he was SPS’s nominee for the NYU Distinguished Teaching Award. Ed was particularly proud of the MS in Project Management that he created, which grew to be one of the most successful degree programs in the Division of Programs in Business, receiving notable honors for exemplary practice from the Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs in 2019.
Ed was also an exceptionally active member of faculty governance, chairing the SPS Faculty Council, sitting on the NYU Contract Faculty Senate Council, and representing SPS on the NYU Faculty Committee on Technology-Enhanced Education, to mention just a few of his pivotal leadership positions. His influence was broad, and he will be missed across all of NYU.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
• Must be a full-time SPS faculty member during the year of the award
• Must have been an SPS full-time faculty member for at least five years
• Must have a demonstrated history of outstanding, continuous and dedicated service to the NYU community above that required of all faculty. Examples of such service may include but are not limited to, service to their home unit, to SPS or in university-level committees, to the SPS Faculty Council, the Continuing Contract Faculty Senators Council (C-FSC), and exemplary service to students.
Nomination and Selection Process
• Must be nominated by an SPS faculty member with a letter of support describing in detail the nominee’s record of service
• The nominations will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of four SPS faculty members, one SPS administrator, and one SPS student. The committee’s choice will be forwarded to the dean for approval.
Timeline for 2023-2024 Academic Year
January 24 - Call for nominations
February 15 - Nominations are due to the Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA)
February 21 - OFA submits nominations for committee review
March 8 - Committee submits endorsed nominations to OFA. OFA submits completed nomination packets for Dean's review
March 27 - Dean's review completed. Award recipients are notified