NYU IMC Department is engaged in industry relevant research and thought leadership including academic publications, industry reports, white papers, books, and case studies. Our faculty provide consulting services to a broad range of industries and lead the effort to transform marketing and PR practices. Our signature projects focus on the purpose driven marketing and PR and utilize broad range of research methodologies.
Research and Thought Leadership
2022 Corporate Social Value Index
At a time when corporations are re-inventing themselves as B-Corps or “going purpose” versus “going public,” industry bodies are re-examining the fundamental definition of value and wealth creation, and civil society seems unable to cope alone with the emerging crises of our time, this study provides a methodologically robust foundation for the re-evaluation of a brand’s relationship with its consumers in the areas of social value. Drawing on a nationally representative sample of 2,500 US consumers, this study provides insights across 75 brands spanning 12 individual product and service categories.
The 2022 Attitudinal Survey of PR Professionals
Does PR have a PR Problem? - The study shows that PR practitioners think people in general have a largely negative view of the profession in terms of its value, ethics and the degree to which PR professionals are respected. We can speculate if this is in fact true and, if so, what can PR professionals do to rehabilitate the image of their own profession?
- Li, Y, Petrick, J., R, Wei, W, & Bujisic, M., (2022) The One when Nostalgia Backfires: Evidence from Theme Parks, Tourism Review International
- Vincent, R. L., & Gaur, S. S. (2021). Luxury for Hire: Motivations to Use Closet Sharing. Australasian Marketing Journal, 29(4), 306–319.
- Kingshott, R., Gaur, S. S., Sharma, P., Yap, S. F., & Kucherenko, Y. (2021). Made for each other? Psychological contracts and service brands evaluations. Journal of Services Marketing, 35(3), 271-286.
- Yap, S. F., Lim, W. M., Gaur, S. S., & Lim, P. Y. (2021). A framework for preventive health marketing. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 1-24.
- Herjanto, H., Bagozzi, R. P., & Gaur, S. S. (2021). The Role of Shame and Virtues in the Self-Regulation of Decisions to Engage in Digital Piracy. Australasian Marketing Journal, 29(1), 15-28.
- Loh, H. S., Gaur, S. S., & Sharma, P. (2021). Demystifying the link between emotional loneliness and brand loyalty: Mediating roles of nostalgia, materialism and self-brand connections. Psychology & Marketing, 38(3), 537-552.
- Bilgihan, A., Kandampully, J., Bujisic, M., Kaplan, A., Burke Jarvis, C., & Shukla Y. S. (2021), Service Transformation: How can it be achieved, Journal of Business Research. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 3)
- Li, Y., Kandampylly, J., Liu, S., & Bujisic, M. (2021) Towards a Lifestyle Experience: A Phenomenological Conceptualization and Scale Development in the Hotel Context, Tourism Management. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 4)
- Gaur, S. S., Supramaniam, S., Yap, S. F., & Foliaki, M. (2020). Consumption of financial products amongst vulnerable pacific island people in New Zealand. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 37(7), 833-842.
- Gaur, S. S., & Anand, I. M. (2020). Role of individuals’ virtues in relationship between emotional responses to government’s actions and their consequences. Journal of Management and Governance, 24(2), 327-364.
- Vincent, R. L., & Gaur, S. S. (2020). Frequent Consumption of the Sharing Services. ACR North American Advances, 48, 766-767.
- Karia, M., Bathula, H., & Gaur, S. S. (2020). Information Overload and the Entrepreneurs’ Behaviour: Mediating Role of Entrepreneurial Self-Efficacy. Journal of New Business Ventures, 1(1-2), 48-68.
- Song, Y., Gao, S., Zhao, Y., & Singh Gaur, S. (2020). What Do We Still Need to Know About Employee Creativity: A fsQCA Approach. Sustainability, 12(3), 1140.
- Shahrier, N. A., Ho, J. S. Y. & Gaur, S.S. (2020). Ownership Concentration, Board Characteristics and Firm Performance among Shariah – Compliant Companies, Journal of Management & Governance, 24(2), 365-388.
- Cheng, B. L., Gaur, S. S., & Rahim, R. A. (2020). Factors Leading to Customer Retention in the High Volume-Low Volume Service Context: Evidence from the Mobile Service Industry. Asian Journal of Business Research, 10(1), 68.
- Singh, S. K., & Gaur, S. S. (2020). Corporate growth, sustainability and business ethics in twenty-first century. Journal of Management and Governance, 24(2), 303-305.
- Singh, S. K., & Gaur, S. S. (2020). Managing organization and business in Asia. Journal of Asia Business Studies, 14(2) 141-142.
- Mitra, A., & Gaur, S. S. (2020). Does environmental concern drive Asian firms’ governance? Journal of Asia Business Studies, 14(4), 481-503.
- Bogicevic, V.& Bujisic, M., (2020). Comparison of Composites, Dichotomous, and Latent Factor Measurement Operationalizations in Hospitality Research on Moderating Effects. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 2)
- Li, Y., Obeidat, W., Bogicevic, V & Bujisic, M. (2020). Discrimination of Hotel Employees: The Role of Heteronormativity and Political Exclusion. International Journal of Hospitality Management. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 3)
- Wang, B., Liu, S., Kandampully, J., & Bujisic, M. (2020) How Color Affects the Effectiveness of Taste- versus Health-Focused Advertising Messages, Journal of Advertising. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 3)
- Parsa, H.G., Shuster, B., & Bujisic, M. (2020) Classification of the U.S. Restaurant Industry - Theoretically Supported and Empirically Tested, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 2)
- Huang, H., Liu, S., Kandampully, J., & Bujisic, M. (2020) Consumer Responses to Scarcity Appeals in Online Booking, Annals of Tourism Research. (SSCI Journal, ABS grade 4.
- Bujisic, M. & Diamond, M., (2022) Brand Social Value (BSV) Indices – Instrument Development and Validation, 2022 AMA Summer Academic Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Parsa, H.G., Bujisic, M., & van der Rest, J. P. (2022), An Extended Classification System for the U.S. Restaurant Industry, 2022 WFCHRIE virtual conference, Sacramento, CA.
- Qi, R., Li, Y., Wei, W. & Bujisic, M. (2021) Service Redesign in Theme Parks: How Nostalgia Backfires, 26th Annual Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, Houston, TX.
- Bae. S.Y., Wegner, D., & Bujisic, M. (2020) A Role for Emotion in Social Influences on Ambivalence: Emotional Intelligence and Agreement Effects on Subjective Ambivalence, 2020 AMA Summer Academic Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Parsa, H.G., Bujisic, M., Shuster, B., & van der Rest, J. P. (2020) Classification System for the U.S. Restaurant Industry: A Theoretical Extension of the Utilitarian-Hedonic Continuum Model, EuroCHRIE 2020, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Bae. S.Y., Wegner, D., & Bujisic, M. (2020) How Civic Consumers Become Ambivalent: Emotional Intelligence and Agreement Effects in Attitudes Related to Health, Social Policy, and the Environment, 2020 Global Marketing Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Bujisic, M., & Diamond, M., (2022). Marketing to Machines: Social Implications of Adoption of Algorithmic Decision-Making Autonomous Machines (ADAM) to Marketing Practice.
- Tan, K., Qi, R., Holz, H. & Bujisic, M. Customer Experience Management in the Digital World
- Bujisic, M, Tavis, A., & Bogicevic, V., Future of Hospitality Jobs: From Covid19 to Digital Transformation.
- Bathula, H., & Gaur, S. S. (2021). Contours of the Global Business Environment in the Post-COVID-19 Era: Key Implications for Businesses. In The New Normal: Challenges of Managing Business, Social and Ecological Systems in the Post COVID 19 Era.
- Soon, P. S., Gaur, S. S., & Ho, J. S. Y. (2020). Consumers’ Emotional Response to the Use of Augmented Reality (AR): An Exploratory Study. In Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality (pp. 65-73). Springer, Cham.
- Do CMOs and CCOs Need Data to Drive Growth?
- The Chief Marketing Orchestrator: Why modern CMOs need to be multidisciplinary marketers
- Driving Innovation from the CMO’s Chair
- The Dangers of Misinformation and Communicators’ Unique Role in Combating It
- The Transformation of CMO and CCO
- Investing in Employee Education
- Conscious Decision Making
- Succeeding in the Metaverse: A Look at Potential Strategic Levers
- Managing and Adapting to Change
- Worldwide Fragrance: Cultural Nuance in the Globalization of Brands
- Optimizing the Integration of Public Relations Into the Marketing Mix
Awards & Recognition
- Bujisic, M. & Diamond, M., (2022) Brand Social Value (BSV) Indices – Instrument Development and Validation, The Best in track paper for the Branding and Brand Management track at the 2022 AMA Summer Academic Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Gaur, Sonjaya (2020), Employee perception of impact of knowledge management processes on public sector performance. Highly Commended Paper - 2020 Emerald Literati Award winner
- Gaur, Sonjaya (2020), The role of emotions on consumers’ intention to use augmented reality: A qualitative study, Best Paper Award at AIM – American Marketing Association Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium and Conference, Noida, India.
Journal Editorial and Review Service
- Journal of Asia Business Studies - Associate Editor (Marketing Area Editor)
- Psychology & Marketing - Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management - Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science - Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology - Editorial Board Member