International Students
The NYU School of Professional Studies Website
Professional Certificates
Upcoming Events
Search Courses
Credit Course
Non-Credit Course

Graduate Admissions FAQs-International Students

For international students, the following components are required for submission in order to complete a master’s degree application:

  • A complete online application
  • A current résumé
  • A statement of purpose
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
  • If requested, an evaluation of foreign credentials to confirm the equivalency of an international degree
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores for applicants who did not complete an undergraduate degree in the United States or in a country where the only primary language is English. The IELTS may be submitted in place of the TOEFL. In addition, applicants are required to participate in an English language assessment consisting of an online test and an interview administered by the School's American Language Institute (ALI).
  • A $150 application fee

Standardized test scores such as the GRE, GMAT, or LSAT are not required upon submission of an application. However, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to request a test score for additional review of academic potential.

For additional details, please see Admissions Criteria.

Applicants who did not complete an undergraduate degree in the United States or in a country where the only primary language is English and whose native language is not English, are required to submit TOEFL scores. The Office of Admissions will not accept scores that are older than two years. The IELTS test score report may be submitted in place of the TOEFL.

The Office of Admissions requires all applicants who have not earned their entire four-year undergraduate degree in the United States or in a country where English is the only primary language to submit TOEFL scores. If you would like an exemption from this policy, please submit your request in writing, detailing why the waiver should be granted. Typically, the Admissions Committee must have all other components of your application to make a determination on a TOEFL waiver.

No, the cost of attendance is the same for all students. However, tuition differs across our three programs: Bachelors, Associates and Access.

Because international students are not eligible to file the FAFSA, they are not eligible for US federal aid. Financial aid is very limited for international students, but resources do exist. Many international students find funding opportunities in their home countries. However, if that is not available other options include:

For more information on the above options, please see:

The US Embassy or Consulate in a foreign country issues a student (F-1) visa for the purpose of entering the United States for full-time study. Before you can apply for this visa, you must be admitted to a full-time program at the NYU School of Professional Studies. Once you have been admitted to a program, you will receive instructions in your student portal regarding requesting an I-20. You will receive a document (I-20 Form) to present to the US Embassy or Consulate to apply for your student (F-1) visa. Only the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) is authorized to issue the I-20 form.

Once you have activated your NetID, you will be able to complete the I-20 request form on the student portal. If you need assistance with the process, you should contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) directly.

We do not mail hard copies of decision letters. However, a PDF version of your decision letter can be provided by your Admissions Officer. This copy will be able to be used for visa purposes. Send an email requesting a copy directly to your Admissions Officer or to

The Visitor for Business (B-1) and Visitor for Tourism (B-2) visas are used for short-term visits–generally six months or less. The US Department of State, requires that students planning to temporarily visit the United States for reasons other than those permitted on a visitor visa–business, pleasure, tourism or medical treatment–must apply for a different visa in the appropriate category.

Under the new regulations, visitors are not permitted to pursue a full course of study or to attend classes prior to receiving approval of the change of status request from the Bureau of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (BUSCIS). To facilitate the change of status process, the prospective student should notify the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (BCBP) upon arrival in the US, of their intent to begin a full course of study in the United States. Students who fail to inform the INS official at the port of entry will not receive approval of a change of status request and must return to their home country to apply for a student (F-1) visa before starting their program.

Since the change of status application may require a three-to-four month processing period, students are strongly encouraged to return to their home country to apply for a student visa. Visitors who enter the United States on a 90-day visa waiver cannot apply for a change of status in the US and must return to their home country to apply for a student visa.

Only full-time degree students who enter the US on a student (F-1) visa have the opportunity to work part-time during the academic year and full-time for one year after the completion of a degree program. Part-time employment is limited to the NYU campus and must not exceed 20 hours per week. Prior to the commencement of any employment, F-1 students must obtain permission to work from the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS).

As a full-time or part-time NYU School of Professional Studies student, you can use the NYU Student Health Center, located at 726 Broadway, 3rd and 4th Floors. Depending upon your insurance coverage, fee collection for the visit may vary. NYU requires all full-time students to enroll in a health insurance plan, either through the University or through another insurance company.

Full-time students who enter on a student (F-1) visa are eligible to enroll in the NYU Health Insurance Plan. If you are entering the United States as a tourist (B-2) or on another type of visa, you should purchase health insurance coverage before you travel to the United States.

An F-1 or J-1 international student on a personal leave of absence may not remain in the United States. When approving a leave of absence, the appropriate department or school official should notify the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) and the student must depart the United States immediately.

International students requiring a leave of absence or permission to take less than a full course load for medical reasons are eligible to stay in the United States, subject to conditions set forth by the US Department of Homeland Security in accordance with information provided by a physician.

Students out of attendance who did not apply for a leave and who wish to return to the NYU School of Professional Studies must apply for readmission.