Passion, whether for language or a specific topic, is at the core of this Magazine Copyediting course. In it you will learn the importance of developing skills needed to work within specific magazine genres such as food, fashion, and fitness as well as how visual elements serve to enhance the text and the important role a copy editor plays in making sure the art and design coalesce to form a cohesive piece. You’ll also learn the various magazine production stages and how a copy editor’s role dovetails with those of other editors and the art and production departments, from print and into a digital format. We’ll distinguish how magazine copyediting differs from book publishing, which allows for monotasking on one text through a lengthier timeframe, and copyediting for digital-only publications, which requires fast-paced multitasking on the text of a variety of articles. Each session will familiarize you with the foundations of accuracy, clarity, and coherence, while also covering the unique style and voice that differentiates publications from one another, as well as how to remain organized and nimble when working across multiple titles. Finally, you’ll become familiar with industry-standard style guides
The Chicago Manual of Style
Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition
and how to work within online content management systems, Microsoft and Google suites, and Adobe InCopy and InDesign.
This course may be used to fulfill the requirements of the Certificate in Professional Copyediting, Proofreading, and Fact-Checking.
This course is delivered in an online format that uses a combination of real-time, instructor-led (synchronous) video meetings and self-paced (asynchronous) learning within NYU’s online learning platform, and there are weekly deadlines for lesson and assignment completion.
You'll Walk Away with
- The ability to copyedit and proofread across the full spectrum of magazine genres
- The skills to input text changes, work with layouts, and communicate with editors digitally using industry-standard programs and organizational systems
- Knowledge of the roles and tasks associated with magazine copyediting and proofreading for print and their attendant digital platforms
- Confidence in using a magazine’s specific style guide along with standard reference guides while remaining flexible enough to move between publications
- An understanding of the production cycle of magazines and their websites
- Familiarity with taking copyediting tests
- Professionals who are interested in entering the field of magazine copyediting
- Copy editors who seek to hone their skills for print and online magazine publishing