The Syrian Civil War and Cold War Politics in the 21st Century
This course will focus on the origins of the Syrian Civil War, including the Arab Spring protests and interference by the United States and Russia, both of whom not only have failed to stop the violence and bring about stability but also have soured their own relationship to Cold War levels. We will thoroughly analyze and discuss the Syrian Kurds, who were abandoned by the Trump administration after doing much of the heavy fighting against ISIS. The course also will cover how countries around the world have responded to the Syrian refugee crisis and what can be expected for Syria, the Middle East, the United States, and Russia going forward as the conflict continues.
You'll Walk Away with
- An understanding of the causes of the Syrian Civil War and the status of the war today
- Knowledge about the international community’s interest and stake in the Syrian conflict
- Insight into the United States’ and Russia’s foreign policies
- Political science and history buffs
- All members of the community—working, retired, and in between