Art of the Ask: Effective and Persuasive Communication and Negotiation Strategies
Communicating exactly what you want, making the ask, then negotiating until you have an answer, whether for your business, for a charitable gift, or even for yourself, does not have to be overwhelming or insurmountable. In fact, with the right individualized strategy and tools, every ask you make can be powerful and provide a pathway to a positive response. Learn how to carefully craft your message, be intentional in its delivery, and engage in productive follow-up. Whether you ask in person, through digital platforms, or in written communications, you can master the Art of the Ask.
Through this highly interactive session you will learn how to:
- Take the test on The Four Askers—Which Asker Are You?
- Examine your own views on money and as well as the person you are asking because most asks involve money
- Choose the right words and the right tone that will best resonate with the person you want to ask
- Apply the Five Laws for Any Ask
- Deliver with confidence your ask via a variety of methods including video conferencing, email, phone, letter, and in-person
- Monitor your tone and your body language so that you are persuasive, not pushy
- Understand when to make the ask so as not to miss a "golden moment"
- Deal effectively with the responses you will get to your ask
- Feel comfortable asking people close to you
- Improve the conversations that are not going as smoothly
- Engage in productive follow-up
- Feel comfortable and confident with every ask you need to make
Students are asked to bring three asks they need to make, or have made in the past, that they would like to improve. Advanced reading material will be assigned and distributed two weeks prior to the first session.
Full participation in Art of the Ask: Effective and Persuasive Communication Strategies is applicable for 7 points in Category 1.B – Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
You'll Walk Away with
- The confidence—with the right words, at the right time—to make any ask
- Strategic steps that you can use going forward that will enhance your communications skills
- Anyone who needs to fine tune their communication, asking and negotiation skills in person or through digital platforms
- Anyone who needs to teach or coach others on the art of the ask
DateMar 1 - Mar 1