Global Affairs Certificate in Clean Energy
The demand for clean energy professionals is growing rapidly. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment in the clean energy sector will grow by 25% from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is being driven by a number of factors, including the increasing cost of fossil fuels, the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and the growing public interest in clean energy.
The NYU Clean Start Program, offered in collaboration between the Center for Global Affairs and the Urban Future Lab, is designed to help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in this growing field. The program covers a wide range of topics, including:
- The Clean Energy Ecosystem
- Existing and Emerging Clean Energy Technologies
- Policy Landscape
- Project Finance and Markets
- Data Analysis and Modeling
In addition to virtual classroom instruction, you will also have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through an applied project with a clean energy company. This project will give you the chance to apply the skills you have learned in the program and to network with professionals in the field.
- Foundations of Clean Energy
- Energy Analytics, Modeling, and Cleantech Finance
- Clean Energy Capstone: Putting Knowledge to Practice
Schedule and Delivery: Courses are offered virtually during the fall and spring semesters during the evenings (Eastern Time) to provide flexibility for working professionals. The program is designed to be taken in 2-3 semesters - 2 Semesters: Students complete the two content courses in the first semester and the Capstone course in the second semester. 3 Semesters: Students complete one course per semester
Requirements: While students can complete their coursework from outside the NYC area, they are required to attend at least 80% of the live sessions. Some onsite networking opportunities will be available with virtual participation as possible. Students who successfully complete the program will receive a Certificate in Clean Energy from the NYU SPS Center for Global Affairs.
Sample of Capstone Projects:
- Microgrid Viability: Developed metrics and performed extensive primary and secondary research to better understand the potential market demand for microgrids in New Jersey, New York, the Philippines, and South Africa
- Energy Management and Bench-marking Software: Through extensive stakeholder interviews, policy research, and data analysis, the team evaluated 37 potential market locations and came up with a set of market expansion recommendations.
- Community Solar Opportunities: Analyze incentive structures and policy and economic landscape for community solar projects in New York State to develop models for analyzing pricing structures and identifying opportunities for projects.
Sample of Job Titles held by former students:
- Project Manager at a City Development Corporation
- Managing Member at a Green Bank
- Senior Project Manager at an Energy Management Company
- Senior Marketing Specialist for a Utility Portfolio within a Management Consulting Firm
- Manager of Market Segmentation & Growth for a large Utility Company
- Senior Financial Analyst at a large Utility Company
- Regional Development Manager at a Solar Development Company
- Strategy and Development at a Commodities Group
- Project Developer for a Solar Development Company
- Business Development for an Energy Data Analytics Firm
- Director of Operations for a Clean Energy Nonprofit
- Senior Engineer for an Energy Data Analytics Firm
Earn a 10% DISCOUNT* on courses by declaring your candidacy for the Certificate in Clean Energy.