Gain a broad overview of the intersection between technology and finance commonly known as “fintech.” This course focuses on three main developments in this area: 1) the application of distributed ledger technology in finance, with a special focus on bitcoin and cryptocurrencies; 2) the phenomenon of automated financial advice that is provided through online platforms, also known as “robo-advisory services,” reducing the need for direct interaction with financial advisers; and 3) loan-based or capital-raising platforms that directly connect issuers and investors (and eliminate the traditional role of banks), such as crowdfunding platforms and other peer-to-peer lending solutions. The course also offers some perspectives and insights into the current fintech job ecosystem and, specifically, what it takes to succeed in a career as an investment professional in the fintech industry. Even in a fintech world, knowledge of securities (stocks, bonds, and mortgage-backed securities, bitcoin and blockchain) is important, so this course will begin with a very brief introduction of these securities.
- High school students who have completed grades 9, 10, or 11
- High school students who are curious about advancements in the field of financial technology, such big data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence
You'll Walk Away With
- An understanding of how technology has impacted the design and delivery of financial products and services
- The ability to identify and distinguish types of distributed ledger technology, such as bitcoin, blockchain, and cryptocurrencies
- Knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages of using big data, artificial intelligence, and machine learning in finance
- An NYU transcript showing grade(s) earned upon completion of the course (Please note: No college credit or certificate of completion is granted for this course.)
Career Edge Schedule
Application is now closed! We look forward to posting Summer 2023 information in early January 2023.
Application Requirements and Fees
For International Students
Resources and visa information for international students interested in studying abroad in NYC
Resources for students who have been admitted to the program