Discovering New York City Architecture: A Foundation in Design, Theory, and Practice
Architecture is about the making of places where people spend their lives. Architects are not only concerned with the exterior and interior design of a building, but also the environment as a whole. This online course introduces the theory and practice of architecture, from the ancient world through today, with emphasis on Western tradition. Then, look ahead to cutting-edge and future concepts in the field, including sustainability. Through lectures, exercises, and workshops, explore architectural products within their formal, structural, and functional contexts and gain an understanding of how physical and cultural determinants of architecture relate to their environment. This pre-college course is perfect for high school students who are considering majors or careers in architecture and design.
- High school students who have completed grades 9, 10, or 11
- High school students interested in a career in architecture or design
You'll Walk Away With
- An understanding of architectural products within their formal, structural, and functional contexts
- An introduction to the theory and practice of architecture, from the ancient world through today
- An NYU transcript showing grade(s) earned upon completion of the course (Please note: No college credit or certificate of completion is granted for this course.)
Career Edge Schedule
Applications for Summer 2024 will become available in early 2024!
Application Requirements and Fees
For International Students
Resources and visa information for international students interested in studying abroad in NYC
Resources for students who have been admitted to the program