Screenwriting--Visual Storytelling: From Short to Feature-Length Films
This course is a perfect introduction to screenwriting as a future college major or career - the only prerequisite for this engaging and highly creative online course is a love of movies! You’ll explore the essential elements of visual storytelling, starting with analyzing the scripts of your favorite films to gain a deeper understanding of what makes them appealing and commercially viable. Take part in a writing workshop to solidify your ideas, collaborating with a professional screenwriter to develop vibrant characters and to gain experience honing your ear for authentic dialogue. Learn the fundamentals of screenwriting, including narrative arc, dialogue, and character development. Develop the first act of a feature-length screenplay and hear from guest speakers working in the City’s vibrant film industry. Gain a perspective of the movie industry as a whole and explore how the screenwriter fits into the entire filmmaking process—from the first draft of the screenplay to delivery of the final product. This will be a summer pre-college week to remember!
- High school students who have completed grades 9, 10, or 11
- High school students interested in a career in screenwriting
You'll Walk Away With
- A draft of the first act of a feature-length screenplay
- An understanding of the fundamentals of screenwriting, including narrative arc, dialogue, and character development
- An NYU transcript showing grade(s) earned upon completion of the course (Please note: No college credit or certificate of completion is granted for this course.)
Career Edge Schedule
Application is now closed! We look forward to posting Summer 2023 information in early January 2023.
Application Requirements and Fees
For International Students
Resources and visa information for international students interested in studying abroad in NYC
Resources for students who have been admitted to the program