From the luxury and sophistication of the Upper East Side to the punk rock grit of the Lower East Side, New York City is a vibrant and diverse center of fashion. In this introductory course, explore New York City’s fashion industry online from your home, including: design, marketing, merchandising, styling, and finding your individual style. Examine the history and future of fashion through virtual visits to the Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of Art and to the FIT Museum, as well as to the studios of luxury accessory designers. Gain exposure to the fundamentals of a fashion career by meeting with industry leaders in your online course—including designers, merchandisers, and stylists—to discuss design, craft, construction, and trend spotting. Get a peek into majoring in fashion and related topics through this pre-college experience, and discover what it takes to succeed in the fashion industry! As a final project, you’ll practice fashion sketching, create a signature look and design a six-piece collection.
Please note: This course does not include hands-on experience with sewing or garment construction.
- High school students who have completed grades 9, 10, or 11
- High school students interested in a career in fashion design
You'll Walk Away With
- A six-piece sketch collection of your signature looks
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of a fashion career and an understanding of what it takes to succeed in the fashion industry today
- An NYU transcript showing grade(s) earned upon completion of the course (Please note: No college credit or certificate of completion is granted for this course.)
- Session 2 Jul 11 - 15, 2022 Mon - Fri 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Career Edge Schedule
Application is now closed! We look forward to posting Summer 2023 information in early January 2023.
Application Requirements and Fees
For International Students
Resources and visa information for international students interested in studying abroad in NYC
Resources for students who have been admitted to the program