NEW YORK, February 22, 2010 — Experts at The New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies (NYU-SCPS) have developed the Core Business Competencies Graduate Certificate, an 18-credit program focused on updating the proficiencies needed to succeed in the current business climate. Students can apply now for these classes, which are held at NYU-SCPS locations in midtown, downtown, and Washington Square in Manhattan, and also conveniently online.
“We developed the Core Business Graduate Certificate curriculum in order to provide mid to senior level managers with the kind of multidisciplinary skill set that corporations are looking for as they prepare for the upturn,” said Anthony Davidson, divisional dean of Programs in Business at NYU-SCPS. “The classes are relevant for both business professionals in transition as well as individuals who want to upgrade their skills and advance their careers.”
The program covers key business topics key with courses in:
- Business Strategy and Ethics—focuses on the formulation and implementation of strategy models for building and sustaining a competitive advantage
- Financial Management—provides non-financial managers with a comprehensive overview of the finance function and how it affects all the other functions of the organization
- Information Technology—teaches the strategic role and function of IT in facilitating and supporting decision-making and planning
- Foundations of Human Resource Management—Examines the managerial implications of HR from a strategic perspective
- Strategic Marketing—provides understanding of how to develop organization-wide integrated marketing and communications
- Elective Course—any graduate business course at NYU-SCPS consistent with the student’s professional pursuits. Selected by the student with advisor approval
“A study by McKinsey found that individual strategy, innovation, and leadership are crucial skills that drive corporate growth, but the study also revealed there is gap between the aspirations of executives to innovate and their ability to execute,” said Davidson. “This new certificate is designed to help narrow the gap between strategy and successful execution by honing multifaceted business leaders.”
NYU-SCPS classes are practice-based, and students have the benefit of professors that bring real-world experience and networking opportunities into the classroom. The rigorous curriculum draws upon all the advantages of being in one of the world’s leading business and financial centers and will be taught by an outstanding faculty made up of successful professionals with extensive experience in their fields.