Division of Applied Undergraduate Studies Admissions FAQs-International Students

Submission of a TOEFL or IELTS score is not required. Should you wish to submit a score from either exam, the following is recommended.  

TOEFL: 100 on the Internet-based test, 250 on the computer based-test, or 600 on the paper-based test.

IELTS: 7.0

However, international applicants to our Associate’s and Bachelor’s programs are required to participate in the Pearson VEPT. Participation in this 50-minute, on-line assessment will be used along with the TOEFL to determine an applicant’s English language proficiency. For more information about the VEPT, please visit the Admissions Criteria.

All international applicants to Bachelors and Associates programs are required to participate in the Pearson VEPT a 50-minute, online test. International applicants must have submitted an application in order to register for the VEPT. There is no fee for this test.

English Language Assessment waivers are not granted.

The tuition rates are the same for all students, regardless of residency.

The US Embassy or Consulate in a foreign country issues a student (F-1) visa for the purpose of entering the United States for full-time study. Before you can apply for this visa, you must be admitted to a full-time program at the NYU School of Professional Studies. Once you have been admitted to a program, you will be directed in your acceptance letter to the Office of Global Services for additional instructions on how to apply for your F1 visa. You will receive a document (I-20 Form) to present to the US Embassy or Consulate to apply for your student (F-1) visa. Only the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) is authorized to issue the I-20 form.

Once you have activated your NetID, you will be able to complete the I-20 request form on the Office of Global Services webpage. If you need assistance with the process, you should contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) at newinternationalstudents@nyu.edu.

We do not mail hard copies of decision letters. However, a PDF version of your decision letter can be provided by your Admissions Officer via email. This copy may be used to obtain your visa. Send an email requesting a copy directly to your Admissions Officer or to nyusps.appliedUG@nyu.edu.

Under the new regulations, visitors are not permitted to pursue a full course of study or to attend classes prior to receiving approval of the change of status request from the Bureau of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (BUSCIS). To facilitate the change of status process, the prospective student should notify the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (BCBP) upon arrival in the US, of their intent to begin a full course of study in the United States. Students who fail to inform the INS official at the port of entry will not receive approval of a change of status request and must return to their home country to apply for a student (F-1) visa before starting their program.

Since the change of status application may require a three-to-four month processing period, students are strongly encouraged to return to their home country to apply for a student visa. Visitors who enter the United States on a 90-day visa waiver cannot apply for a change of status in the US and must return to their home country to apply for a student visa.

Only full-time degree students who enter the US on a student (F-1) visa have the opportunity to work part-time during the academic year and full-time for one year after the completion of a degree program. Part-time employment is limited to the NYU campus and must not exceed 20 hours per week. Prior to the commencement of any employment, F-1 students must obtain permission to work from the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS).

As a full-time or part-time NYU School of Professional Studies student, you can use the NYU Student Health Center, located at 726 Broadway, room 349. Depending upon your insurance coverage, fee collection for the visit may vary. NYU requires all full-time students to enroll in a health insurance plan, either through the University or through another insurance company.

Full-time students who enter on a student (F-1) visa are eligible to enroll in the NYU Health Insurance Plan. If you are entering the United States as a tourist (B-2) or on another type of visa, you should purchase health insurance coverage before you travel to the United States.

An F-1 or J-1 international student on a personal leave of absence may not remain in the United States. When approving a leave of absence, the appropriate department or school official should notify the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) and the student must depart the United States immediately.

International students requiring a leave of absence or permission to take less than a full course load for medical reasons are eligible to stay in the United States, subject to conditions set forth by the US Department of Homeland Security in accordance with information provided by a physician.

Students out of attendance who did not apply for a leave and who wish to return to the NYU School of Professional Studies must apply for readmission.

Because international students are not eligible to file the FAFSA, they are not eligible for US federal aid. Financial aid is very limited for international students, but resources do exist. Many international students find funding opportunities in their home countries. However, if that is not available other options include:

  • Scholarships and fellowships
  • Private loans
  • NYU payment plans

For more information on the above options, please see: