Comprehensive English Program Application for F-1 Students
1. Request an Application for the Comprehensive English Program
Nonresident students who would like to join the Comprehensive English Program and obtain a student (F-1) visa can download the ALI I-20 application
Students admitted to NYU degree programs will receive I-20 application instruction from the admissions department of their University program.
2. Submit Your Application Materials
Please submit the following materials to the American Language Institute's online application system:
- A completed I-20 application form
- A copy of your passport
- Bank documents or financial guarantee letters in English
- An Affidavit of Support form signed by you or your financial sponsor
- A $150 nonrefundable application fee
3. Apply for Your F-1 Visa
Accepted overseas applicants will receive a formal letter of admission and a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). You may then apply for a student (F-1) visa at a United States consulate or other appropriate US agency. Since requirements vary in different areas, applicants for student visas should check the US office in their country for specific requirements.
4. Complete the ALI English Language Assessment
You will receive information via email about the ALI English Language Assessment a few days after submitting your application.
5. Register for Classes and Pay Tuition
After you complete the assessment, you will be assisted with in-person registration the week before the first day of classes. Tuition payments can be made by cash, check, or credit card at that time.
Special Services and Activities: An international student adviser is available to counsel students about visas, as well as academic and personal matters, and to acclimate students to life at NYU and in New York City.