Advanced Multimedia Storytelling Workshop
Humans have used stories to communicate for millennia; they are an essential part of how we relate to each other. The world today is oversaturated with stories constantly shared on social media and self-publishing platforms and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to cut through the noise. How will you be able to effectively connect with the right audience?
In this hands-on workshop, learn how to develop and produce multimedia stories, from concept to finished product, for real-world applications. You’ll work on one industry-related story throughout the duration of the course. Following the comprehensive overview offered in Multimedia Storytelling (see prerequisites below), this course dedicates more class time and goes deeper into the four storytelling modules; pre-production, production, post-production, and publication/distribution.
The course sessions will be split between theory, technical demonstrations, and class workshops. Students are expected to complete, on their own, video-based software training and required reading materials based on a weekly schedule with one-on-one guidance from the instructor during office hours. Guest speakers will join the class to help with critiquing and editing student work.
This course may be used to fulfill the requirements of the Certificate in Multimedia and Podcasting.
You'll Walk Away with
- The skills needed to develop industry-related stories and connect with your target audiences
- A practical understanding of interview techniques and audio and video acquisition methods using equipment ranging from smartphones to professional audio and video gear
- Proficiency in editing apps and an understanding of the different stages of post-production helping you bring your stories to life
- Professionals working on improving the effectiveness of their work through storytelling.
- Established journalists trying to diversify their reporting.
- Social and self-publishing media creators who want to further push their personal brands.