Social Media and Email Fundraising: Building and Deploying Multi-Channel Campaigns
A rapidly changing world demands new approaches for engaging the public, rallying volunteers, and inspiring support. Learn how to use the latest digital tools to create effective campaigns that build authentic, powerful relationships, and develop a sense of community––both online and offline.
In the context of an evolving social media landscape, this course will cover how to build an adaptable digital communications strategy that leverages best practices that aren’t going away any time soon. Students will learn how to create compelling content that moves people to action, with a focus on video storytelling. We’ll survey newer platforms like TikTok, BeReal, the fediverse, and the metaverse, as well as alternative ways to use older channels like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
Students will explore how to move social media followers to owned channels like WhatsApp Communities, Discord, SMS, and email, where they can be more readily activated and continue their journey toward higher levels of engagement. As a final assignment, students will create a multi-channel digital fundraising plan for a GivingTuesday or end-of-year campaign.
- The Online Giving Revolution: Using Digital Tools to Build a Movement for Your Cause
- Design It: Developing SMART Campaign Goals and Moving People to Action with a Compelling Story
- Build it: Choosing Your Tools and Crafting Your Content
- Email Marketing for Campaigns
- Social Media for Campaigns
This course is eligible towards the completion of the Certificate in Digital Fundraising . Bundle your coursework and earn a professional credential that communicates knowledge and skills gained. Declared Certificate students receive 10% off of courses within the program.
Note: Full participation in this course is applicable for 18 points in Category 1.B–Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
You'll Walk Away with
- An understanding of how to use social media to build awareness, connect with new supporters, engage hearts, and open wallets without treating your donors like an ATM.
- Knowledge about how to move social media followers to owned channels so that you can build a community ready to activate for your cause when you need them.
- An understanding of how to build a flexible and sustainable digital communications strategy.
- A comprehensive multichannel campaign that you can deploy at your organization plus the blueprints to efficiently build additional campaigns.
- Communications or fundraising staff at small to mid-sized nonprofits
- New social media managers who are looking for a strong foundation in digital organizing
- Experienced social media managers who are switching from for-profit to the nonprofit sector.
- Experienced communications or fundraising staff who are looking to experiment with the newest social media platforms and digital tools