Leadership and Management Development
The next generation of business, nonprofit, and entrepreneurial leaders will require creative energy and strong leadership skills in order to tackle increasingly complex social and business challenges in a globalized economy. Leaders must be visionary and able to motivate others to work toward a common goal. In addition, they must possess necessary management skills in order to execute that vision. This interactive course promotes leadership development and introduces basic management techniques. Through a combination of lectures, group activities, field trips, and case studies, students will be exposed to various leadership styles and will learn the core competencies needed to manage an organization. Students enrolled in this course will see firsthand what it takes to lead through site visits to innovative organizations across business and nonprofit sectors, as well as through guest lectures from industry leaders in New York. Students also will learn how to begin to engage with their own community.
You'll Walk Away with
- The skills to develop a mission statement and personal leadership development strategy
- Knowledge of how effectively to build and lead a team of peers
- The ability to develop effective, basic managerial strategies
- High school students in grades 9–12
- High school students who have an interest in careers in leadership and/or management