Digital Journalism: Spreading the News Through New Media
Journalists are no longer just writers. Working across digital media, journalists are now digital photographers, videographers, bloggers, and social media community managers, in addition to polished and professional writers. Gain an introduction to this fascinating field and learn about exciting new ways for innovative reporting. In this hands-on workshop, acquire technical proficiency in taking photos and capturing and editing audio and video. Develop a foundation in the basics of producing and editing digital video, audio, and photos for use on online news sites, blogs, and social media sites. Learn the fundamentals of researching, writing, and producing multimedia journalistic work, including news stories and human interest profiles, and using social media to build an audience. Work in small groups to produce a three- to five-minute video story, as well as accompanying photographs, a blog post, and a social media distribution plan.
You'll Walk Away with
- The skills to use digital tools to research, write, and produce digital videos
- The fundamentals of researching, writing, and producing journalistic work
- The ability to use social media to research breaking news, gather sources, and gain readership
- High school students who have completed grades 9, 10, or 11
- High school students interested in a career in digital journalism