Note: This program is not being offered in the Summer 2017 semester.
Effective communication opens doors, and the ability to communicate in a thoughtful, clear, and compelling manner is among the competencies most sought after by prospective employers. According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), effective communication skills are among those most valuable to hiring managers. Employers are looking to hire, retain, and promote people with outstanding skills in the following areas: speaking appropriately; tailoring language to suit different audiences; listening effectively and presenting ideas clearly, enthusiastically, and appropriately; writing clearly and concisely; and working well in groups. If you are applying for a job or you are seeking a promotion from your current employer, expressing yourself effectively can set you apart from others. The four-course Professional Diploma in Professional Communication develops the essential competencies and skills you need to move ahead in your career.
The work product for this diploma will be delivered through a portfolio that includes products from all four courses in the diploma: Introduction to the Art of Communication; Communicating Through Writing; Grammar: Resources and Review; and Collaborating, Communicating, and Leading. The final portfolio will include examples of written professional communication, including emails, memos, proposals, agendas, and minutes, as well as videos demonstrating a presentation and an example of group facilitation. The portfolio will be reviewed and evaluated by a panel of experts. It will also serve as a professional portfolio to be presented to prospective employers.
- Verbal communication skills
- Clear and persuasive writing for business, industry, organizations, and institutions
- Presentation skills
- Storytelling and narrative
- Emotional intelligence for working with groups in diverse settings
According to a recent survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), effective communication skills are among those most valued by hiring managers. In fact, communication and storytelling skills rank first among a job candidate’s “must-have” skills and qualities. This diploma is designed to help you to acquire and develop new competencies in written and oral communication that are necessary to move ahead in today’s competitive job market across business, industry, organizations, and institutions.
You'll Walk Away With
- The ability to write clearly and concisely in a variety of formats and genres
- The tools to present information, proposals, and agendas clearly to large and small groups of professionals
- Skills in writing, oral presentation, and group facilitation applied to real-life situations
- The ability to facilitate large and small meetings and groups
- The ability to communicate well with a diverse audience through both speaking and writing