Note: This program is not being offered in the Summer 2017 semester.
3D printing is providing revolutionary ways for artists and designers to create objects and explore ideas. With decreasing costs of 3D printers, professionals ranging from architects, fashion designers, and artists to mechanical, medical, and industrial engineers are gaining access to these digital tools with which almost anything imaginable is possible through a wide variety of material options. However, knowing how to design 3D objects for 3D printing is still a challenging and complex process. Furthermore, for those who are interested in developing a business in 3D printing, there are myriad variables that need to be understood in order to work with this continually evolving technology.
The Professional Diploma in 3D Design and 3D Printing is a single-semester intensive educational experience that provides a solid foundation in 3D design, specifically with 3D printing in mind. As a student enrolled in this program, you will learn in a hands-on studio setting with close access to cutting-edge 3D scanners and 3D printers as you develop a comprehensive 3D design portfolio and a capstone 3D design project. You will learn 3D design practices, including polygon and NURBS modeling workflow, digital sculpting, and iterative procedural design, in order to execute your creative vision. The Diploma concludes with a professional exhibition event, during which you will present your work to current industry professionals. Ideal candidates for this diploma will have prior professional experience working in a creative industry, or have entrepreneurial experience developing a creative project for market. This foundational diploma establishes the groundwork for further education and research in the emerging field of 3D design for 3D printing.
As a program participant, you will be expected to construct an online portfolio that will showcase your projects as you develop them over the course of the Diploma. All discussions regarding homework assignments and final project variables will be based on individual student portfolio sites. Thus, all students will conclude the diploma with a fully realized, professional online portfolio. The assignments in the individual courses build on each other, enabling you to develop skills, establish your identity as a 3D designer, and create a final online portfolio that is aligned with your interests. The online portfolio will be submitted at the end of the Diploma, and you will present your work in a group exhibition and receive feedback from peers, industry professionals, and instructors.
- Polygon box modeling and parametric NURBS modeling workflow
- Digital sculpting and procedural 3D design
- Iterative digital design exploration and blending
- 3D printing file preparation and troubleshooting
- Professional project development and presentation
- 3D Designer/Creative Professional (in architecture, fashion, product design, jewelry, fine arts)
- Scientific Modeling, Research, or Development Professional (civil, mechanical, medical, biomedical, industrial)
- 3D Printing Operational and Administrative Professional
- 3D Design Education Practitioner/Developer
- Additive Manufacturing Entrepreneur
You'll Walk Away With
- The skills to develop 3D designs for 3D printing in line with your professional interests and entrepreneurial goals
- The ability to identify and apply appropriate 3D printing technology in service of 3D design projects
- The ability to select the best option from a survey of 3D design methods for efficiently constructing 3D printable forms
- The ability to create and troubleshoot 3D design files to ensure printability with current high-end 3D printers
- The ability to generate high-end rendered visualizations of 3D design projects in order to explore ideas and present portfolio projects