Copyediting and Proofreading Books
This hands-on course provides intensive training in the fundamentals of copyediting and proofreading books. Apply your advanced knowledge of spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation to editing manuscripts. Learn to use standard copyediting symbols and terminology and to create an in-house style guide. Discuss how to suggest text changes without interfering with the author’s voice and style. Learn the copy editor’s role in standard book publishing production cycles, including communicating successfully with editors, authors, vendors, and compositors. Also, gain an understanding of the difference between copyediting and proofreading.
You'll Walk Away with
- Knowledge of standard copyediting symbols and terminology
- An understanding of the difference between copyediting and proofreading
- Techniques for suggesting editorial changes while still respecting the author’s voice and style
- Knowledge of publication cycles, the various editorial roles, and the deadlines that comprise production schedules
- The ability to develop and use in-house style sheets or guides