Planning and Assessment
Successful classroom instruction depends not only upon what is done during class time but also upon the analysis and preparation undertaken before and after classes meet. In this course, you will be exposed to a variety of strategies for teaching and assessment and will incorporate them into lesson planning and hands-on teaching. You also will learn how to assess and modify existing teaching materials, as well as how to create original materials for classroom use. Ultimately, you develop the skills necessary for sequencing multiple lesson plans into a cohesive syllabus to achieve defined learning objectives.
You'll Walk Away with
- Familiarity with various teaching strategies and techniques and the ability to apply them to the appropriate context in lesson planning and teaching
- The ability to construct a logically-sequenced syllabus and/or a series of lesson plans to achieve defined learning objectives
- An understanding of how to evaluate, select, and create materials for classroom use and modify existing materials while following copyright law
- The skills to write detailed lesson plans that identify L2 learners’ needs and incorporate specific strategies for addressing those needs, systematically incorporate assessment of L2 learners’ progress and use information gained to assist in future lesson planning, and use information gained in postteaching evaluation to assist in future lesson planning
- The ability to apply the knowledge outlined above to hands-on lesson planning and teaching