Hospitality and Tourism Diploma in Hotel Operations
For those who are interested in the hospitality industry, hotel operations offer fascinating careers that involve providing the best guest experience while running a profitable business. With more than 55 million visitors and over 100,000 hotel rooms, New York City is the ideal location to launch a career in this thriving field. Whether you always have had a passion for travel or you are interested in moving forward on a professional path that offers excitement and a world of opportunity, hotel operations can provide the job satisfaction and security that you seek.
The Diploma in Hotel Operations will equip you with an in-depth understanding of day-to-day hotel functions, the ability to identify valuable customer segments, and the knowledge to think creatively about how to support the development of existing and future brands of hotels that respond to customers’ changing tastes and preferences.
The Diploma is offered in a blended format. Course work is enriched by visits from guest lecturers and trips to leading NYC hotels. Upon completion of this program, you will have a sophisticated understanding of the role that hotels play in the global travel and tourism industry.
As a student in this program, your final portfolio will demonstrate your ability to think creatively about the challenges that hotels face every day. You will be required to identify a specific hotel property in NYC and to perform a comprehensive review of its operations, brand positioning, and marketing strategy. Based upon your evaluation of the hotel’s current practices, and in the context of current and anticipated industry trends, you will provide recommendations about how the hotel could be improved to meet guest expectations while providing long-term value and profitability for the company.
- Organizational skills
- Critical thinking
- Planning and detail orientation
- Relationship building
- The ability to research and synthesize ideas into a cohesive project and presentation
- Guest Relations Associate
- Housekeeping Supervisor
- Sales Assistant
- Banquet Assistant
The Diploma is awarded to students who successfully complete the three required courses within two years.
Must be completed within
You'll Walk Away With
- Familiarity with career paths in the hospitality industry
- Knowledge of the roles of the general manager, the controller, and the management company, as well as all of the departments that manage day-to-day operations of a hotel
- An understanding of the importance of customer relationship management, including identifying different market segments and developing service offerings that deliver customer value and drive profitability for a hotel
- The skills needed to examine the emerging trends in the lodging sector, as well as the other external factors that affect hotel development, service offerings, and a hospitality professional's duties and roles