According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, web development is the fastest-growing career in today’s economy, with a projected 20 percent growth rate by 2022. Web developers earn a median salary of $63,000 and up to $110,000 per year. They design and create websites and are responsible for a website’s look, as well as many of its technical aspects, such as performance and capacity.
Through the three units within the Diploma, you will learn how websites are developed as managed projects. You will gain a solid understanding of essential Adobe CC software; user interface design theory; principles of usability; a strong design sense; and the ability to creatively employ color, type, and layout. You also will identify e-commerce solutions and relate website development to business goals. Completion of this diploma establishes that you have foundational knowledge in developing basic websites.
This diploma is ideal for students and professionals who want a career in website design or marketing. The comprehensive, intensive course of study introduces you to many of the key areas of web design work. This blended-delivery diploma consists of asynchronous and synchronous lectures and demonstrations with hands-on studio-lab sessions to put your knowledge into action. Knowledge is assessed through project-based assignments and presentations. You will learn by developing and maintaining a series of website elements using authoring and scripting languages, creating content and digital media, and employing standards and technologies for business-to-business and business-to-consumer e-commerce websites.
As a participant in this program, you will be required to create a series of portfolio sites that showcase your understanding of, and ability to apply, web design and development principles, practices, and concepts. Additionally, you will give a 15-minute recorded final presentation that will include a five-minute Q&A to demonstrate presentation and communication skills. Once in the job market, you will be able to utilize this portfolio to illustrate your understanding and abilities within the web design and development cycle.
- HTML knowledge
- CSS knowledge
- Design sensibility
- Project management skills
- UI Designer: strong user-centered design aesthetic; experience working with multidisciplinary teams
- UX Designer: strong understanding of layout, color, and typography; strong research and analytic skills
- Visual Designer: a solid foundation in typography, layout, and design; demonstrated knowledge of interaction design and methodology
- Art Director: the ability to conceptualize and execute creative ideas; working knowledge of web technologies
- Front-End Developer: an understanding of web standards, compatibility, and best practices; familiarity with programming languages
- Web Designer: the ability to work independently and in a team
You'll Walk Away With
- The practical experience of designing and coding impressive multipage websites using current HTML and CSS coding skills
- The ability to design and enhance web graphics using the industry-standard Adobe Creative Suite
- Documented results of original and effective solutions to web design briefs
- The capacity to employ a range of software and online resources, including text editors such as Notepad++, Sublime Text, cloud storage options, Server Integration, and FTP software
- A portfolio of interactive enhancements to websites that contribute to an impressive user experience
- The ability to use CSS to add stylistic enhancement to web content quickly and easily
- An up-to-date skill set that includes HTML to create single and multipage websites