Note: This program will next be offered in the Fall 2017 semester.
The NYUSPS Center for Global Affairs Advanced Diploma in Monitoring and Evaluation: Project Management for the UN, Government, and NGOs provides students with a strong foundation in monitoring and evaluation program design and implementation. Students explore the variety of tools and techniques used to measure project progress and report outcomes to the appropriate internal and external stakeholders—including donors, funders, supervisors, or the population being served. Students design relevant and effective frameworks, and they learn the required methods to conduct effective data collection, statistical analysis, and reporting. Through these lessons and through exposure to real case studies drawn from relevant organizations, students gain the skills needed to be able to conduct a monitoring and evaluation program for development organizations, NGOs, or private organizations in the development, peacebuilding, energy, gender studies, or transnational security sectors.
This diploma will enable students to gain critical skills in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) across industries and sectors. Through incorporating a theory-practice approach, students will be able to gain rigorous theoretical and scientific knowledge of how to go about constructing a monitoring and evaluation program within the domain they are interested in. Students then will proceed to learn the various designs available to them to conduct such a program, leading to data collection, analysis, and insights. As a final product, students will develop an M&E program, including a data analysis and reporting plan. The framework format and components will be discussed in the introductory course to reflect what specific sectors and industries use. These M&E programs will be presented to a panel of industry experts and M&E professionals for feedback and evaluation.
- Data collection and analysis
- Project or program management
- Report writing
- Oral and written presentation skills
- Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
- Program or Program Management Officer
- Program or Business Development Specialist
- Grants Manager
- Research Analyst
Please Note: The NYU School of Professional Studies does not sponsor student visas for Diploma programs. Prospective students must independently ensure proper visa status for study at NYUSPS. If you are an international applicant seeking admission for the spring, you may want to consult with a US embassy or consulate on the appropriate visa for you.
You'll Walk Away With
- An understanding of what monitoring and evaluation mean
- The ability to build a project or program design and a monitoring and evaluation framework
- The knowledge to develop and utilize appropriate indicators for measuring project or program goals, outcomes, outputs, and impacts/effectiveness
- An understanding of quantitative and qualitative data collection methods and the ability to use them in project or program monitoring and evaluation
- The tools to write reports and recommendations