Lawyers and law firms in the United States have come under increasing pressure from clients to adopt methods of project management. Legal departments in public and private enterprises also are required to act with greater efficiency, and courts are asking judges to reduce their backlog. The implementation of project management is becoming widespread among European law firms, and there is much discussion now within North American legal departments as to how to begin or improve this implementation. To meet this emerging demand and to achieve optimization of resources, legal department managers are finding it necessary to apply project management methods to unique case management and enterprise requirements. As a participant in the Advanced Diploma in Legal Project Management, you will prepare for advanced work in legal project management. This includes project, program, and portfolio legal project management for client case matters and the legal enterprise, as well as for specialized areas currently in demand that pertain to pricing for value and legal service optimization technology.
The Advanced Diploma in Legal Project Management will demonstrate how to apply traditional and agile project management methods to the management of legal service matters (cases and transactions) and to the management of legal service enterprises, such as law firms, in-house legal departments of public and private organizations, and the courts. The Diploma aims to apply and help to define further the global standards of project management distinct to legal enterprises and legal services. The overall learning objective is to gain an understanding of how to apply project management methods to legal services and to the management of law firms, legal departments, and the courts. The Diploma aims to prepare you with the skills needed to take high-level responsibility for each case matter and enterprise legal service project.
As a student in the program, you will engage with the material by completing team projects, presentations, and exams. The program will conclude with a capstone project that demonstrates your competency in the program learning outcomes and that is critiqued by a panel of industry experts. In order to be successful in this program, you must demonstrate the ability to work successfully both individually and in teams on assigned projects.
- Legal case management
- Project, program, and portfolio client and enterprise management
- Strategic planning
- Pricing for value
- Risk management
- Legal Project Manager
- Law Practice Group Leader
- Chief Executive Officer
- Executive Director
- Director of Pricing
You'll Walk Away With
- The ability to apply PMI-aligned global standards of conventional, agile, and other project management methods (individually and within teams) to the management of specific legal services (relating to case matters and to the management of enterprise projects for legal service organizations)
- The skills to participate effectively in budgeting projects, cost analysis, and structuring fees, with an emphasis on improving value for the provider and, in client matters, for the client
- The expertise to apply protocols and templates tailored to the improved implementation of project, portfolio, and program management methods in a legal service organization context (including utilizing software tools for enhanced integration)
- The ability to assess the need for and engage in change management in a legal service environment
- Techniques for gathering and analyzing data to evaluate projects and to implement methods of continuous improvement in a legal services context