Note: This program is offered annually during the spring semester through the first month of the summer semester. It will next be offered in the Spring 2018 semester.
Tuition assistance is provided through support of this program by the New York State Energy and Research Development Authority (NYSERDA). US veterans will be eligible for a full tuition scholarship, while other qualified candidates will receive up to $1,750 toward tuition costs.
The clean energy sector encompasses many different technologies and policies. The Advanced Diploma in Clean Energy provides a foundation in these topics and prepares students for jobs in this growing field. Students will gain an understanding of clean-energy solutions in a variety of areas, such as transportation, energy-efficient buildings, renewable residential and commercial installations, and smart grids. Start-ups serve a critical role for innovation in this sector. As such, students will gain a comprehensive understanding of the strategies and related competencies for a successful career working in a cleantech start-up—skills that can be leveraged in a wide variety of jobs. They will engage with clean energy data and hone the basic skills required to interpret and analyze this information for data-driven decision-making. The program curriculum combines a traditional academic approach with experiential learning to train professionals for a smooth transition into a clean energy career.
The Advanced Diploma in Clean Energy, which can be completed in-person in just one semester, provides those individuals with skills required for careers in this field. The Diploma delivers a practical application of knowledge and experience that leverages real-world simulations, project scenarios, and case studies to enable a hands-on learning experience.
Students in the Advanced Diploma in Clean Energy program will complete a Capstone project as a final deliverable. Diploma participants will work alongside clean energy organizations to execute a project while also gaining exposure to clean energy operations and management.
Students will work in groups with organization staff members and will apply their prior experiences and current education to help support their business functions. Projects will range in scope based on the needs of the companies and the preexisting skill sets of the students, but may include the following:
- Market research and competitive landscape analyses
- Project design and development
- Evaluation of the financial viability of implementing a clean energy solution
For those interested in developing a clean energy start-up, students will be paired with a mentor rather than an existing company.
- Basic energy data analysis
- Basic financial modeling
- Value proposition identification, development, and communication
- Customer outreach strategy and goals
- Energy-related start-up creation
- Energy Services Marketing and Sales Representative
- Green Fundraising Associate
- Clean Energy Entrepreneur
- Renewable Energy and Sustainable Marketing Coordinator
- Sustainable Business Program Associate
This program is being offered in collaboration with the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. It is funded by a grant from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
Please Note: The NYU School of Professional Studies does not sponsor student visas for Diploma programs. Prospective students must independently ensure proper visa status for study at NYUSPS. If you are an international applicant seeking admission for the spring, you may want to consult with a US embassy or consulate on the appropriate visa for you.
You'll Walk Away With
- An understanding of the barriers and obstacles to integrating clean energy solutions into urban and suburban environments--this awareness will enable you to better identify solutions to these problems
- The ability to make effective presentations to stakeholders
- The skills to perform basic energy data analysis
- The knowledge to make recommendations for data-driven decisions