Political Journalism Boot Camp
Whether you are interested in reporting on what happens in the Oval Office, on Capitol Hill, or at city hall or in investigating the politicians who work there or highlighting the real-world impact of the decisions made there, this intensive course is designed for you. Gain a grounding in the nuts and bolts of crafting high-impact news coverage—and steering a journalism career covering politics. This course will detail what practical techniques top reporters use to craft investigative features, profiles, and breaking news stories—and how aspiring journalists can get hired to do just that. Break down stories that work (and don’t), and why. Experience the high-stakes newsroom challenges that journalists face daily via real-time simulations of, and discussions about, the reporting process. Explore how personal branding and social media can help you to report and promote your work, while making invaluable industry connections. And gain vital insight into the business of news: get feedback on journalism résumés, cover letters, and clips—what to do if you have them and if you don’t. Hear from a veteran Washington Post editor and CNN producer on how to pitch your stories—and yourself—to some of the nation’s top news organizations.
You'll Walk Away with
- Familiarity with investigative features, profiles, and breaking news
- An understanding of what makes for a well-reported story
- Advice on how to break into the journalism industry and political reporting, in particular
- Aspiring journalists and students new to political journalism
- Those interested in what happens behind the scenes in local, state, and national politics