Medical Interpreting: An Overview of Education and Training (Spanish/English)
This three-part introductory course addresses the vital components of Spanish/English medical interpreting, and it fulfills the 40-hour training and education prerequisite for the certification test established by the Standards of Practice of the International Medical Interpreters Association and the Code of Ethics of the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care. Gain exposure to the basic principles of anatomy and physiology as they apply to the medical interpreter’s daily practice, and start developing a beginner’s medical glossary in primary care and medical specialties. Also, acquire strategies for effective communication with patients and providers, and gain a better overall understanding of the healthcare system.
You'll Walk Away with
- An understanding of standards of practice, ethics, and required skills for Spanish/English medical interpreting
- Fulfillment of the 40-hour training/education requirement for certification
- Spanish/English medical interpreters who wish to sit for the certification examination
- Students who would like a refresher course on the basics of Spanish/English medical interpreting
- Those who are considering the Diploma in Professional Medical Interpreting (Spanish/English) and seek prior exposure to the profession