Introduction to Computer Science Using Java
Careers opportunities in computer science are growing and rapidly evolving. If you are thinking about a professional path in this field, then this course can offer you an introduction to computer science in the context of scientific, engineering, and commercial applications (students will need prior knowledge in Java). The goal is to teach basic principles and to explore emerging issues, while at the same time preparing you to use computers effectively for applications in computer science and other disciplines. The class is designed to challenge you to think like a computer scientist, honing your skills in Java, as you benefit from the rigor and the interactivity it provides. Upon completion of this program, you will have an understanding of how to identify algorithms in computer science, as well as a deeper grasp of abstraction and the ways in which it helps in problem solving. You also will have the ability to create Java programs that can be used in environments other than the classroom. Fields trips will serve to supplement knowledge acquired in the traditional learning environment.
Note: Knowledge of Java is necessary to take this course.
You'll Walk Away with
- An understanding of algorithms and computer science
- The knowledge to combine different academic subjects to create an applicable program
- The ability to create Java programs that can be used outside the classroom
- High school students who have completed grades 9, 10, or 11
- High school students who are interested in exploring careers in computer science