America at the Movies: Talk About Film Like a Native Speaker
In this advanced speaking course, film serves as the topic of discussion and informs various types of speech acts that students practice throughout the term. The class looks at both dramatic and comedic monologues that serve as inspiration for student presentations, using American films to inform discussions about Americans. By the end of term, students will be able to speak in English knowledgeably about cinema and discuss trends in American film that speak to broader cultural phenomena.
You'll Walk Away with
- The ability to speak in English more fluently and accurately
- Greater comfort when speaking with Americans
- Increased knowledge of American culture
- Nonnative speakers of English
- Students looking to advance their professional, academic, and personal goals