ESL Listening and Speaking 6
In this high-intermediate English course, students focus on listening and speaking for both general and academic purposes. Students listen to authentic material such as news reports, lectures, interviews, and presentations and discuss them. They work in pairs or groups to prepare speeches and presentations that further explore the topics from the listening material. By the end of the course, students are able to paraphrase listening material, state an opinion providing concrete reasons, and provide a clear summary. Additionally, they are able to be active listening/speaking participants on topics of personal and general interest. The complement to this course is ESL Reading and Writing 6/CESL1-CE9016, which must be taken at the same time.
You'll Walk Away with
- The ability to tell comprehensible and detailed stories with a beginning, middle, and end and to deliver a summary of a level-appropriate text
- The ability to understand various types of level-appropriate audio materials, descriptions, explanations, and narratives
- The ability to give a clear and detailed oral description or explanation, to give reasons for personal opinions, and to participate fully and appropriately in conversations on topics of personal and general interest
- Nonnative speakers of English
- Students looking to advance their professional, academic, and personal goals