NEW YORK, April 10, 2014 –In today’s competitive global and digital landscape, companies need to be especially protective of their reputation if they want to maintain the public’s confidence. It is therefore a necessity for public relations and business professionals to be experts in effectively building and managing a company’s image.
This July, the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies (NYU-SCPS) is offering a three-day summer intensive, “Building Reputation in a Regulated Environment,” intended for mid- to senior-level professionals in the legal field, corporate compliance, internal audit, investor relations (IR), and corporate communications who want to move beyond a media/PR-metrics model to better understand legal and IR’s role in effective and compliant communications.
“Reputation and regulation need to be viewed and managed together in today's business environment. To be effective, a company's legal and communications professionals should work together to factor in reputational risk when managing regulatory compliance. But while regulatory compliance is essential, it is important to recognize that despite its growing importance, it does not necessarily ensure a company's good reputation," said Bob DeFillippo, chief communications officer of Prudential Financial, Inc.
The summer intensive will run from Tuesday, July 8, through Thursday, July 10, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the NYU Midtown Center, 11 West 42nd Street.
“As regulatory demands increase in complexity and as communication increases in volume and velocity, these practice areas require greater collaboration and mutual advocacy,” said Paula Payton, director of the NYU-SCPS Department of Strategic Communication, Marketing, and Media Management.
Through high-profile keynote sessions, panel discussions, and case study presentations, participants will:
- Learn how to protect reputation and image while limiting legal risk
- Understand the range and impact of external influencers and intangibles and how they directly correlate to share price
- Become knowledgeable about how to address legal, financial, and public relations risk-management issues including governance, transparency, legal compliance standards, and effective stakeholder communication
- Improve effectiveness and create new capabilities for public relations and communication professionals through understanding and working with a new set of stakeholders
- Case studies from practitioners who have dealt with impactful ethical and compliance challenges; and how to proactively face and address future challenges
Instructors and special guests include:
- Robert DeFillippo, Chief Communications Officer, Prudential Financial Inc.
- Ann Kappler, Vice President, Corporate Counsel and Chief Regulatory Officer, Prudential Financial Inc
- Bill Healey, Senior Vice President, Alman Group, Inc.
- Paul Gennaro, Senior Vice President and Chief Communications Officer, AECOM Technology Corporation
- Tim Erblich, CEO, Ethisphere Institute
- Herb Chain, Partner, Deloitte LLP
- Ellen Lambert, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility, PSEG
- Holly Gregory, Partner, Sidley Austin LLP
- Paul Angotta, Managing Director, BNY Mellon
- Sanders Adu, Vice President of Federal Government Relations, Wells Fargo
- Chris Hessler, Founder, AJW, Inc; Former Deputy Staff Director of Senate Energy and Commerce Committee
- Helio Fred Garcia, Executive Director, Logos Institute for Crisis Management and Executive Leadership
Invited guests also include representatives from State Farm, UBS, Morgan Stanley, and Colgate-Palmolive.
To register for this summer intensive, click here. For more information about other NYU-SCPS course offerings in public relations and marketing, call (212) 998-7171 or visit scps.nyu.edu/marketing.